Perpetum movil that will last as long as earth rotation

In summary, by placing a gigantic gyroscope anywhere and allowing it to complete a revolution in 24 hours, it is possible to harness the Earth's rotation to keep the gyroscope spinning indefinitely if the gyro is heavy enough and friction is low enough. Alternatively, a gigantic powerball can be placed at 45º latitude and, once started, the Earth's rotation will feed it and keep it spinning as long as the Earth spins. However, this method may not be sustainable in the long term as it would contribute to slowing down the Earth's rotation. It has been suggested that by cranking together the precession and gyro spin, it may be possible to convert the force of gravity into a usable horizontal force. However, this theory has
capullosois
Put a giantic gyroscope anywhere, in 24 hours it will have completed a revolution, cranck together the 24 hours rotation with the gyro rotation, if the gyro is heavy enough and the friction low enough it will spin as long as the Earth spins
Second option, put a giantic powerball at 45º latitude, once started the Earth rotation will feed it

Physics news on Phys.org
capullosois said:
... if the gyro is heavy enough and the friction low enough it will spin as long as the Earth spins

If the friction has ANY value above zero, your Gyro will stop spinning well before the Earth does!
(And it will have a friction value above zero!)

well hello there aviator.

inha said:
well hello there aviator.
I was just thinking the same thing...

Danger said:
I was just thinking the same thing...

... er, why? Have I missed something here?

He's back! Hurrah!

Adrian Baker said:
... er, why? Have I missed something here?
I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for now, but just check back to posts by aviator and icarolo to see why the suspicion arises.

Check the powerball you have to make a movement with it to accelerate it identical to that one that it would make in a 45º latitude by Earth's rotation.
It would only need a initial momentum and Earth would accelerate it.
The powerball has friction but it reaches 15000 rpm by twisting it in your hand as Earth would in a 45º latitude.
Just think in slower motion, heavier powerball, bigger momentum

I don't know what a powerball is, but what is your point? That you can get energy from the Earth's rotation? What's new about that? Earth's rotation (wrt the moon) causes tides, and hydroelectric generators can convert tides to electricity. Earth's rotation (wrt the sun) causes weather, and from this we already have hydroelectric river dams, windmill energy, etc. This seems like "free" energy, but tides and weather are gradually and continuously slowing the Earth's rotation.

You are right Krab this energy could be in long term even worse than fossil fuels because it would slow down the earth.
But taking into account that precession is the vectorial product of the gyro torque together with the force of gravity we may conclude that force of gravity is transformed into an horizontal displacement, precession, of the gyro.
Wouldnt it be an interesting experiment to build a gyro that crancked together the precession with the gyro spin to see if as the vectorial product says the force of gravity would be converted into an horizontal and usable force?

I don't see the point of running an experiment - as Krab said, we already have tidal power plants that demonstrate the conversion of rotational energy to electrical via tidal forces. It doesn't work the way you describe, but it does work.

Regarding slowing the Earth's rotation - no. The tides are already slowing Earth's rotation, by harnessing that we do not add a significant additional amount of friction.

Danger said:
I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for now, but just check back to posts by aviator and icarolo to see why the suspicion arises.

I don't think there's any doubt at all that it's aviator. It's like the hydra - you chop off one head (aviator) and two heads spring up (icarolo) and (capullosois).

juvenal said:
I don't think there's any doubt at all that it's aviator. It's like the hydra - you chop off one head (aviator) and two heads spring up (icarolo) and (capullosois).
What throws me off a bit is that the spelling gets a little better each time. Maybe he's just taking more time to proof them, and bought a dictionary. He sure is a persistent little bugger.

I have made an experiment to measure if a precessing gyro holds its torque as long as a not precessing gyro.The results were their lasting the same.
To me this means that although precession is due to the gyro torque, the work that produces precession doesn't come from the gyro because if it was this way it would have lasted shorter precessing than no precessing.
This work that produces precession may come from gravity.
therefore if in a gyro you cranck together the spinning with the precession you may obtain a constant work from gravity.
I don't think this have been tried experimentally before so if someone is investigating this is a new idea that might be worth trying.

Sorry, but that's complete and utter nonsense. You didn't take any actual measurements or do any calculations, did you?

capullosois said:
I have made an experiment to measure if a precessing gyro holds its torque as long as a not precessing gyro.The results were their lasting the same.
To me this means that although precession is due to the gyro torque, the work that produces precession doesn't come from the gyro because if it was this way it would have lasted shorter precessing than no precessing.
This work that produces precession may come from gravity.
therefore if in a gyro you cranck together the spinning with the precession you may obtain a constant work from gravity.
I don't think this have been tried experimentally before so if someone is investigating this is a new idea that might be worth trying.
You're right. The precession is due to gravity. Here's a link that should give you more info on how gravitational torque causes a spinning wheel to precess

1. What is "Perpetum Movil"?

"Perpetum Movil" refers to the concept of a perpetual motion machine, which is a hypothetical device that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external energy source.

2. How does "Perpetum Movil" work?

"Perpetum Movil" is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. The machine would use energy from the Earth's rotation to continuously power itself, without the need for any additional energy input.

3. Is "Perpetum Movil" possible?

While many scientists have attempted to create a perpetual motion machine, it has never been successfully achieved. The laws of thermodynamics, which govern the behavior of energy, suggest that a perpetual motion machine is not possible.

4. What impact would "Perpetum Movil" have on the Earth's rotation?

"Perpetum Movil" would not have a significant impact on the Earth's rotation, as the machine would only be using a small fraction of the Earth's rotational energy. However, if the machine were to somehow disrupt the Earth's rotation, it could have catastrophic consequences for life on Earth.

5. Why is "Perpetum Movil" important?

The concept of a perpetual motion machine has intrigued scientists and inventors for centuries, and its pursuit has led to important discoveries and advancements in science and technology. While a true "Perpetum Movil" may not be possible, the pursuit of it has pushed the boundaries of human innovation and understanding of the laws of physics.