Perplexing integration - sqrt(1+sinx)

• Thread starter peripatein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to integrate sqrt(1+sinx) dx and getting an incorrect answer. They ask for advice and are told to use a different substitution. The conversation then shifts to evaluating an improper integral and discussing the best method for doing so.
peripatein
Hello,

I am trying to integrate sqrt(1+sinx) dx but I keep getting 2sqrt(1-sinx) (having initially substituted u=sinx), which is wrong! Could anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't really know what you did wrong unless you tell us what you did! So, can you show us your work?

As I wrote, I substituted u=sinx and got that the integral should be equal to 2sqrt(1-sinx). Which is wrong, according to Wolfram and a simple differentiation test. I am simply not sure where I faltered. May you please advise?

You're starting in the wrong place. You should be using a different substitution. Try tan x/2 = u.

I would have thought so, except that I was instructed to use that substitution. :s
It should still be correct, granted the algebra is. Yet the answer is incorrect!

peripatein, you need to show us your work. We cannot read your mind.

u=sinx, du=cosxdx
Hence, int=[sqrt(1+u)/sqrt(1-u^2)] du=[1/sqrt(1-u)] du.
Hence, int=2sqrt(1-sinx)

Try that last step again.

What do you mean? Dividing by sqrt(1+u)?

peripatein said:
What do you mean? Dividing by sqrt(1+u)?
Do the integration:

[itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u}}\,du\ .[/itex]

But isn't that 2sqrt(1-u)?

peripatein said:
But isn't that 2sqrt(1-u)?
sign error.

Wrong link. In any case, that is NOT the answer. Question is, why?

They're the same answer *if* [itex]\cos x=\sqrt{1-\sin^2 x}[/itex]. That's not always the case, but you implicitly assumed that this is an identity in your u-substitution.

peripatein said:
Wrong link. In any case, that is NOT the answer. Question is, why?
What is the correct answer?

You have to be careful about sign behavior of the functions you're working with.

[itex]\displaystyle \cos(x)=\sqrt{1-\sin^2(x)}\ \ [/itex] only when cos(x) ≥ 0.

Otherwise, [itex]\displaystyle \ \cos(x)=-\sqrt{1-\sin^2(x)\ .}[/itex]

Okay, thanks!
I am also trying to evaluate the improper integral 1/[(x-1)^1/3] between 0 and 4. May I do so thus?:

{ lim b->1- int 1/[(x-1)^1/3] dx between 0 and b } + { lim b->1+ int 1/[(x-1)^1/3] dx between b and 4 }?

Is there a another, better way to evaluate it?

peripatein said:
Okay, thanks!
I am also trying to evaluate the improper integral 1/[(x-1)^1/3] between 0 and 4. May I do so thus?:

{ lim b->1- int 1/[(x-1)^1/3] dx between 0 and b } + { lim b->1+ int 1/[(x-1)^1/3] dx between b and 4 }?

Is there a another, better way to evaluate it?
It's best to start a new thread for this.

It's a completely different problem.

1. What is perplexing integration?

Perplexing integration refers to the process of finding the antiderivative or integral of a function that is difficult to solve using traditional integration techniques. It often involves using advanced mathematical methods or numerical approximations.

2. What is the function sqrt(1+sinx)?

Sqrt(1+sinx) is a mathematical function that takes the square root of the sum of 1 and the sine of x. It is a common function used in calculus and can be written as √(1+sinx).

3. Why is integrating sqrt(1+sinx) perplexing?

Integrating sqrt(1+sinx) can be perplexing because it does not have a closed-form solution. This means that it cannot be solved using basic integration rules and often requires more complex methods to find the antiderivative.

4. What are some methods for solving the perplexing integration of sqrt(1+sinx)?

Some methods for solving perplexing integration of sqrt(1+sinx) include using trigonometric identities, substitution, and numerical integration techniques such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving perplexing integration problems?

To improve your skills in solving perplexing integration problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic integration techniques and to practice solving different types of integrals. You can also brush up on advanced mathematical methods and numerical techniques to expand your problem-solving abilities.