Ready to Watch the Perseid Shower? Join Me for a Clear Sky Viewing!

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
In summary, the sky will be dark and there will be a new moon. No clouds are in the forecast, so it should be a great night to watch the Perseids. Dave will be at a cabin north of Sydney and should see some meteors.
Dembadon
Gold Member
Anyone planning on watching? There will be a new moon, and no clouds in the forecast for my area. :oldlove:

We'll have to drive about 20 minutes to avoid light pollution, but I'm anticipating a great evening!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm at my parents place where the sky is much, much darker than where I live. I plan to watch it!

Likes Dembadon
I'm planning to make a wish upon the fallen stars.:nb)

It peaks this year on the night of August 12 and the morning of August 13. Good luck everyone!

Silicon Waffle said:
I'm planning to make a wish upon the fallen stars.:nb)

Let's see. One wish per shooting star... times 200 per hour... square root of seven... we're going to be RICH!

Likes davenn
:smile: LOL Drakwont see too much south of the equator, Perseus is well below the horizon

edit
doing some looking on Stellarium, Perseus just rises in the nthrn sky prior to sunrise
If I can drag myself out of bed at 3 am and get to a darker site, I may well photo some of the meteors that radiate above the horizon for me :smile:

the trick is getting out of bed when it is near 0 deg C and driving for an hour to get out of the city lights :wink:

Dave

Last edited:
davenn said:
the trick is getting out of bed when it is near 0 deg C and driving for an hour to get out of the city lights

Huh, it's 105 F at my parents place here in Texas. Wanna trade?

meet somewhere in the middle ~ 75F :wink:

another 2-3 months and we will be into the 38C ++ (100F ++) temps

we mite hit 40 - 45C ( ~ 105 - 110 F) maybe 8 - 10 days / summerfound a spot just to the north of Sydney, about 45 mins drive from home that is the sky is clear tomorrow morn I will get onsite around 330 - 400 am and see if I can photo any Perseids :smile:

Dave

On Thursday I'll be at a cabin far from most lights. Hoping for clear sky!

Likes Dembadon and davenn
Greg Bernhardt said:
On Thursday I'll be at a cabin far from most lights. Hoping for clear sky!

I expect to see some photos of meteors :smile:

Likes Dembadon
well the display in the southern hemisphere this morning was poor to say the least
1 Perseid meteor in an hour and I didn't see it visually ... the camera captured it
view facing NNE, 14mm wide angle, 30 sec exp, ISO 1250
no processing other than cropping and resizing to fit the forum limits

IMGL4090sm.jpg

over that hour ( between 0330 and 0430 Australian EST 12 Aug 2015 ... 1730 - 1830UT 11 Aug 2015) of observing I saw 6 or 7 other sporadic
meteors of course, Murphy's Law struck and they were not in the camera field of view :rolleyes:Dave

davenn said:
wont see too much south of the equator, Perseus is well below the horizon
Huh? You won't see the center of the radiant, but you should still see the same frequency of tracks --- shouldn't you?

Just past "oh-dark-thirty" here, and all I got was two faint tracks over ten minutes --- give it another look in an hour or so.

Edit: five over twenty after the "hour or so."

Last edited:
Bystander said:
Huh? You won't see the center of the radiant, but you should still see the same frequency of tracks --- shouldn't you?

Only the ones that radiate above the horizon would be seen ( of course)

That pic of one above was the only one in an hour of photos :frown:

Dave

It's the same thing every time with these meteor showers. The day before, they interview some astronomer who says; "This promises to be the light show of the century. There will be so many shooting stars that you might faint from the excitement. Get the lawn chairs, cook some popcorn, wake up the kids, and prepare to be dazzled by nature's greatest fireworks spectacle". Well, I'm done with them. I think I,ve seen one shooting star ever out of three encounters.
I wonder how this debris can just rest on Earth's orbit in the first place. Year after year it just sits there immune from gravity? I don't get it.

Helios said:
It's the same thing every time with these meteor showers. The day before, they interview some astronomer who says; "This promises to be the light show of the century. There will be so many shooting stars that you might faint from the excitement. Get the lawn chairs, cook some popcorn, wake up the kids, and prepare to be dazzled by nature's greatest fireworks spectacle". Well, I'm done with them. I think I,ve seen one shooting star ever out of three encounters.
I wonder how this debris can just rest on Earth's orbit in the first place. Year after year it just sits there immune from gravity? I don't get it.

It wasn't that bad in the early morning hours, I think I saw one every 30~ seconds a few hours before dawn.

I was up in northern Wisconsin this weekend and got to see several go by.

Likes davenn
I laid out in the back yard for about one hour early Thursday morning and saw about 20-40 in a one hour period. Pretty good for a meteor shower, but people who were expecting much more based on the media hype were disappointed. I saw about 5-10 that were reasonably bright, and about 15-20 that were in my peripheral vision and then when I turned to look at them they were gone.

I've found that when the forecasts say 30/hour, people don't realize what that means, which is that they are two minutes apart on the average. We are so used to movies and television where things are happening every few seconds, that we forget how long 2-3 minutes where nothing is happening can be. The comments I heard from members of the general public was that they were very disappointed. I thought it was a good show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I was up in northern Wisconsin this weekend and got to see several go by.

there was good aurora over the last couple of nights as well, did you see any ?
should have been easy from your location :smile:

Dave

Unfortunately we weren't able to make it out to see them. Had some family stuff go down.
nsaspook said:
A friend at work was out with the Oregon Star Party last week for the show. Will see if I can grab a few of his shots to post here.
The site from a few year ago.
http://www.oregonstarparty.org/oregonstarparty/
https://writescience.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/img_5747.jpg
That would be great if you could!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dembadon said:
Anyone planning on watching? There will be a new moon, and no clouds in the forecast for my area. :oldlove:

We'll have to drive about 20 minutes to avoid light pollution, but I'm anticipating a great evening!

For a change, I was extremely lucky- on vacation at the beach (whole sky visibility, no light pollution) and no moon. I am currently processing the many GB of image data to see what I got... I know I captured 5 or 6. (of course, I saw many more than that by eye...)

Andy Resnick said:
For a change, I was extremely lucky- on vacation at the beach (whole sky visibility, no light pollution) and no moon. I am currently processing the many GB of image data to see what I got... I know I captured 5 or 6. (of course, I saw many more than that by eye...)
That's great news, Andy! Can't wait to see what you've got.

nsaspook said:
A friend at work was out with the Oregon Star Party last week for the show. Will see if I can grab a few of his shots to post here.
20042092143_06e864df71_b_d.jpg

20636771596_dd8451be54_b_d.jpg

Likes Dembadon, Andy Resnick and Greg Bernhardt
Here are some of the images I took of meteors- this one is from last year's Perseid:

DSC01579_zpsuevyagiz.jpg

so I thought this year would also be fairly easy. Unfortunately, this is one of the best ones, the meteor was super-bright:

DSC07503%20copy_zpswzdijlvf.jpg

You probably can't even see it- here's the image at 100%:

DSC07503%20copy-1_zpssdnvewjh.jpg

This image was taken with a 15/2.8, open all the way, at ISO 1600. I don't recall the settings from last year, but I'm surprised at the low contrast this year. For comparison, the Andromeda galaxy (also visible in the frame) appears brighter than the meteor:

DSC07503%20copy-2_zps0lexdanv.jpg

The basic problem is that the entrance pupil is only 5 mm in diameter, smaller than your (and my) dark-adapted eye. A better lens to use for meteors would be something like a 24/1.8 or 35/1.4, since the entrance pupil is substantially larger. For me, I like the 15mm's ability to generate images like these:

star%20trails%202015_zpsdon9lzhb.jpg

night2_zpsy3vu2fs1.jpg

night3a_zps2ij7gtax.jpg

Likes nsaspook and Dembadon
Pictures of the friend with his ultra-light 20 inch carbon fiber over a balsa wood frame.
ChrisTribe20inchUltralight%201.jpg

ChrisTribe20inchUltralight%207.jpg

ChrisTribe20inchUltralight%206.jpg
ChrisTribe20inchUltralight%204.jpg

He's making the tracking table with some scrapped 360,000 counts per rev encoders I gave him from work.

Likes Student100

1. What is the Perseid shower?

The Perseid shower is an annual meteor shower that occurs in August. It is caused by the Earth passing through the debris left behind by the comet Swift-Tuttle.

2. When is the best time to watch the Perseid shower?

The Perseid shower is typically visible from mid-July to late August, with the peak occurring around August 12-13. The best time to watch is after midnight when the sky is darkest.

3. Where is the best place to view the Perseid shower?

The Perseid shower can be seen from all over the world, but it is best viewed in areas with little light pollution. Find a dark, open area with a clear view of the sky for the best viewing experience.

4. Do I need any special equipment to watch the Perseid shower?

No special equipment is needed to view the Perseid shower. However, a comfortable chair or blanket to sit on and a pair of binoculars can enhance the experience.

5. What can I expect to see during the Perseid shower?

You can expect to see bright, fast-moving meteors streaking across the sky. Some may leave behind a trail of light, known as a "shooting star". On a clear night, you may be able to see up to 60 meteors per hour during the peak of the shower.