Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perseid Shower this week

1. Aug 10, 2015 #1

Dembadon

Gold Member

Anyone planning on watching? There will be a new moon, and no clouds in the forecast for my area. :oldlove:

We'll have to drive about 20 minutes to avoid light pollution, but I'm anticipating a great evening!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm at my parents place where the sky is much, much darker than where I live. I plan to watch it!

4. Aug 10, 2015 #3
    I'm planning to make a wish upon the fallen stars.:nb)

5. Aug 10, 2015 #4
    It peaks this year on the night of August 12 and the morning of August 13. Good luck everyone!

6. Aug 10, 2015 #5

Drakkith

Let's see. One wish per shooting star... times 200 per hour... square root of seven... we're going to be RICH!!

7. Aug 10, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:smile: LOL Drak

wont see too much south of the equator, Perseus is well below the horizon

edit
    doing some looking on Stellarium, Perseus just rises in the nthrn sky prior to sunrise
    If I can drag myself out of bed at 3 am and get to a darker site, I may well photo some of the meteors that radiate above the horizon for me :smile:

the trick is getting out of bed when it is near 0 deg C and driving for an hour to get out of the city lights :wink:

Dave

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  8. Aug 10, 2015 #7

Drakkith

Huh, it's 105 F at my parents place here in Texas. Wanna trade?

9. Aug 10, 2015 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

meet somewhere in the middle ~ 75F :wink:

another 2-3 months and we will be into the 38C ++ (100F ++) temps

we mite hit 40 - 45C ( ~ 105 - 110 F) maybe 8 - 10 days / summer

found a spot just to the north of Sydney, about 45 mins drive from home that is the sky is clear tomorrow morn I will get onsite around 330 - 400 am and see if I can photo any Perseids :smile:

Dave

10. Aug 11, 2015 #9
    On Thursday I'll be at a cabin far from most lights. Hoping for clear sky!

11. Aug 11, 2015 #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I expect to see some photos of meteors :smile:

12. Aug 11, 2015 #11

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well the display in the southern hemisphere this morning was poor to say the least
    1 Perseid meteor in an hour and I didn't see it visually ... the camera captured it
    view facing NNE, 14mm wide angle, 30 sec exp, ISO 1250
    no processing other than cropping and resizing to fit the forum limits

IMGL4090sm.jpg

over that hour ( between 0330 and 0430 Australian EST 12 Aug 2015 ... 1730 - 1830UT 11 Aug 2015) of observing I saw 6 or 7 other sporadic
    meteors of course, Murphy's Law struck and they were not in the camera field of view :rolleyes:

Dave

13. Aug 13, 2015 #12

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Huh? You won't see the center of the radiant, but you should still see the same frequency of tracks --- shouldn't you?

Just past "oh-dark-thirty" here, and all I got was two faint tracks over ten minutes --- give it another look in an hour or so.

Edit: five over twenty after the "hour or so."

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  14. Aug 13, 2015 #13

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only the ones that radiate above the horizon would be seen ( of course)

That pic of one above was the only one in an hour of photos :frown:

Dave

15. Aug 13, 2015 #14
    It's the same thing every time with these meteor showers. The day before, they interview some astronomer who says; "This promises to be the light show of the century. There will be so many shooting stars that you might faint from the excitement. Get the lawn chairs, cook some popcorn, wake up the kids, and prepare to be dazzled by nature's greatest fireworks spectacle". Well, I'm done with them. I think I,ve seen one shooting star ever out of three encounters.
    I wonder how this debris can just rest on Earth's orbit in the first place. Year after year it just sits there immune from gravity? I don't get it.

16. Aug 14, 2015 #15

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

It wasn't that bad in the early morning hours, I think I saw one every 30~ seconds a few hours before dawn.

17. Aug 16, 2015 #16
    I was up in northern Wisconsin this weekend and got to see several go by.

18. Aug 16, 2015 #17

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I laid out in the back yard for about one hour early Thursday morning and saw about 20-40 in a one hour period. Pretty good for a meteor shower, but people who were expecting much more based on the media hype were disappointed. I saw about 5-10 that were reasonably bright, and about 15-20 that were in my peripheral vision and then when I turned to look at them they were gone.

I've found that when the forecasts say 30/hour, people don't realize what that means, which is that they are two minutes apart on the average. We are so used to movies and television where things are happening every few seconds, that we forget how long 2-3 minutes where nothing is happening can be. The comments I heard from members of the general public was that they were very disappointed. I thought it was a good show.

19. Aug 16, 2015 #18

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  20. Aug 16, 2015 #19

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

there was good aurora over the last couple of nights as well, did you see any ?
    should have been easy from your location :smile:

Dave

21. Aug 17, 2015 #20

Dembadon

Gold Member

Unfortunately we weren't able to make it out to see them. Had some family stuff go down.
    That would be great if you could!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook