PF Down For A Long Time - What Happened?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, the site was down all day and Greg was working hard to get it back up. There were some problems with the server and after a reboot everything is working again.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Title says it all.

Is everything OK now?

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
This site was apparently down all day. I was able to get back in just a few minutes ago. From the errors I saw (500 Internal server error and one other), my guess is there was a problem with the server.

Likes Evo
I want to apologize for the extreme downtime. We may still face a few hiccups because we have a less than ideal fix in place. Several essential web server packages got messed up. In the end two expert software support teams got involved and are still working. I'll update with any relevant updates here. Thanks again for your patience!

Likes beamie564, Doc Al, Samy_A and 4 others
Hooray for Greg! He's been working non-stop all day.

Likes Garlic, Samy_A, Greg Bernhardt and 4 others
Thank you Greg!

Likes Greg Bernhardt, davenn and Evo
When I kept getting those "500 server error" messages, I figured Greg was running 500 laps as penance and that's why it was taking so long. :-p

Likes Doc Al, Drakkith and Evo
Greg Bernhardt said:
I want to apologize for the extreme downtime. We may still face a few hiccups because we have a less than ideal fix in place. Several essential web server packages got messed up. In the end two expert software support teams got involved and are still working. I'll update with any relevant updates here. Thanks again for your patience!
I knew something went terribly wrong as soon as I saw it and prayed that the site could recover. Those 500 code errors are hard as hell to debug. Like Evo says: Hooray for Greg and the experts behind it! :biggrin:

Likes CrazyNinja, Garlic, Greg Bernhardt and 2 others
We need to reboot the server in about an hour. After that we should be in the clear!

Likes Kilo Vectors
Greg Bernhardt said:
We need to reboot the server in about an hour. After that we should be in the clear!
:nb)

Likes collinsmark
my entire life came to a standstill :cry::headbang::eynman:

Kilo Vectors said:
my entire life came to a standstill :cry::headbang::eynman:

My entire online life came to a standstill. I was struck to playing boring CS. :headbang::olduhh:

All is good now, after the server reboot?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Good thing I wasn't around to log into PF on Saturday. Past PF down times have lead me to panic.

I even call Evo once out of panic.

dlgoff said:
Good thing I wasn't around to log into PF on Saturday. Past PF down times have lead me to panic.

I even call Evo once out of panic.
:DD That must have been epic.

"Evo! What happened with the forum?!" :biggrin:

I still can't use the android app. It says "loading" and then suddenly says process has been finished.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Perhaps a case of:

Reflect, repent and reboot - order shall return!

Now it works again!

Related to PF Down For A Long Time - What Happened?

What is PF Down For A Long Time?

PF Down For A Long Time refers to the period when the PF (particle filter) system of a scientific instrument or device was not functioning properly and was unable to collect or analyze data.

Why did PF Down For A Long Time occur?

There are several possible reasons for PF Down For A Long Time to occur. It could be due to technical issues such as malfunctioning equipment or software errors, or it could be due to external factors such as power outages or natural disasters. It is important to investigate the specific cause in order to prevent future occurrences.

What are the consequences of PF Down For A Long Time?

The consequences of PF Down For A Long Time can vary depending on the specific instrument or device. In general, it can result in a loss of data and potentially delay or disrupt ongoing research or experiments. It can also impact the accuracy and reliability of data collected during the time period when the PF was down.

How can PF Down For A Long Time be prevented?

To prevent PF Down For A Long Time, regular maintenance and calibration of the instrument or device is crucial. It is also important to have backup systems in place and to regularly test and troubleshoot the equipment. Additionally, having a contingency plan in case of unexpected technical issues can help mitigate the impact of PF Down For A Long Time.

What steps should be taken after PF Down For A Long Time occurs?

After PF Down For A Long Time occurs, it is important to thoroughly investigate the cause and address any technical issues. It may also be necessary to recalibrate or retest the instrument or device before resuming data collection. It is also important to communicate any delays or disruptions to ongoing research or experiments and to take steps to prevent future occurrences.