PF Speed: Is My Newer PC the Problem?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the author's computer is having problems with PF. The author has had similar problems at work. The author has had no problems on two different networks. The author has had no problems with the new skin on the Mac. However, the author has had problems with the old skin on the 133MHz Mac. The author has had problems with links working properly. The author has had problems with the new driver disk. The author has had no problems since installing the new driver disk.
Andre
PF Speed??

Is it my rather new computer or?

If I frequent my usual forums everythings seems to be well, Click and there is the new page, just as it also used to be on PF.

If I click now, the computer advises me to take a break, get a coffee and so on, as you can stare at a empty gray field for many seconds. A benchmark check with another forum. Split second ready. What's wrong. Is it my computer having a great aversion for this site? Can anybody fill me in?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having the same problems. At my job (where I do most of my websurfing :tongue2: ) we have two networks, and PF has two different speeds on them: slow and stop.

On the network I am currently goofing off on, PF is slow. On the other one, PF takes so long to load that the operation times out and I get a "Cannot find server" error.

No problems here on two different networks.

I haven't been home to try the new skin on the Mac, but everything seems okay on this work one. N/W's takes sometimes more than 2 minutes to switch pages, although that could be just a combination of a slow machine and a cable modem. The old skin on the 133MHz Mac via ADSL was about the same speed as this one is now.
I still can't get links to work properly on either of the PC's, but maybe that's because I'm not using them properly. Has the procedure changed?

I have intermittent issues, and it does seem to depend on the network I'm using. At home, I rarely have any problems, but when it does slow down, it's a complete crawl or I can't do anything. This started even before the new skin (but maybe after the upgrade...it's been a while). When I'm in my office, more often PF comes to a screeching halt, but then, lots of other sites seem slow to load from there too, so I can't tell what part of that is due to PF issues and what is the local network traffic.

I attempted to check from a dial-up line yesterday (I finally got access to our farm office so I can use the computer at night...along with the microwave and a warm place to set up a cot while there all night). It took forever just for the main page to load. It never used to be that slow for me when I used to use dial-up (I'd have never stuck around long if it was).

Okay got it fixed. On yet another computer, after a clear fight between the electrons, a little bar popped up to inform me that the site would problably require another active-X thinghy and it was most helpful to install right away.

As a reward, I have no more time between page loadings to fetch the coffee.

After the upgrade has gotten a bit slower, not really anything troubling, but noticeable anyways (at times things don't happen in a blink).

For the last couple of days, I'd just about given up trying to do anything on N/W's machine. It got so that I had to fast-click about 5 or 6 times to get it to register at all, then it took over 5 minutes to load a page, and to top it off, if I tried to respond to a thread or PM the whole system locked up beyond even the capacity of ctl/alt/del to deal with.
What weirds me out about it is that I gave her (since I just happened to have one kicking around) a new HP keyboard with wireless mouse. It's been working fine ever since. How on Earth can a keyboard and mouse affect an internet connection?

Danger said:
What weirds me out about it is that I gave her (since I just happened to have one kicking around) a new HP keyboard with wireless mouse. It's been working fine ever since. How on Earth can a keyboard and mouse affect an internet connection?
It doesn't. It's a coincidence. It looks like things have sped up a bit since this thread was started. I think Greg must have been listening in and realized he needed to fix something under the hood. Then again, this time of year, every year, general network slowdowns seems common.

Wow, that's some coincidence!
It was about 9:00 last night (MST). This thing was as useless as tits on a nun. I loaded the new driver disk, plugged in the keyboard, and away we went. No problems since.
I agree that one must have nothing to do with the other, but it sure is weird. :bugeye:
edit: Cancel that; it's starting to do it again. :mad:

Last edited:

1. Why is my newer PC experiencing slow performance with PF Speed?

There could be a variety of reasons for slow performance with PF Speed on your newer PC. Some common causes include outdated drivers, conflicting programs, or insufficient RAM.

2. Can I improve the performance of PF Speed on my newer PC?

Yes, there are several steps you can take to improve the performance of PF Speed on your newer PC. These include updating your drivers, disabling conflicting programs, and increasing your RAM.

3. Is PF Speed compatible with newer PC operating systems?

Yes, PF Speed is compatible with most newer PC operating systems. However, it is always recommended to check the system requirements before installing any software to ensure compatibility.

4. Will upgrading my hardware improve the performance of PF Speed on my newer PC?

In some cases, upgrading your hardware may improve the performance of PF Speed on your newer PC. However, it is important to address any software issues first, as hardware upgrades can be costly.

5. How can I troubleshoot performance issues with PF Speed on my newer PC?

If you are experiencing performance issues with PF Speed on your newer PC, try updating your drivers, disabling conflicting programs, and running a virus scan. You can also contact the PF Speed support team for further assistance.