PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
Yes, threads. They show in the Forums with/without highlighting for not/have been visited, but not on the Alerts page.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom.G said:
Yes, threads. They show in the Forums with/without highlighting for not/have been visited, but not on the Alerts page.
Alerts and Watched threads are different. For watched thread data use this page
https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads

btw once you visit the alert page or alert drop down, the system will assume you'e seen the alerts and mark the alerts seen. again this is different than watched threads.

I was referring to the alert dropdown. But the one you triggered by quoting my post had me examining more closely. The seen ones have a "mark unread" post script, which was apparently too subtle for me to spot earlier. Sorry!

Uhmm, then again, I haven't tried closing then re-opening the Alerts dropdown to see what it does with un-visited alerts.

Are we supposed to remember which ones we've seen or haven't seen. The Forums take on that "remember" workload much better than my volatile memory does.

Tom.G said:
Are we supposed to remember which ones we've seen or haven't seen.
How can the system know which alert your eyes have seen?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Unknown, but my (poorly worded) comment intended to reference posts in the list that were visited, either via the Alerts list, or perhaps independently after the Alert was created. As distinct from having seen the list. Just like a to-do list where you cross out the items as they are completed, not every time you read the list.

Tom.G said:
Unknown, but my (poorly worded) comment intended to reference posts in the list that were visited, either via the Alerts list, or perhaps independently after the Alert was created. As distinct from having seen the list. Just like a to-do list where you cross out the items as they are completed, not every time you read the list.
I agree with this. It is how it used to work in PF4 and at least it used to be important to make sure to visit those threads or you would not get any further alerts from them. I believe it is how many users are used to going through their alerts. It used to be that if you went to your alerts, unread threads or new alerts were specifically marked, letting you know what was actually new since last you visited.

Likes Ygggdrasil and Tom.G
Tom.G said:
And it thought I was Asymptotic.

Oh my !

You should immediately contact your support group. . . no delay. . :oldeek:
Orodruin said:
I agree with this.

Oh my !

I should immediately contact my support group. . . no delay. . .:oldeek:

Lol. . . . :oldtongue:

Carry on.

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G
Greg Bernhardt said:
don't we click on them to view ?

jim hardy said:
Most of the places I go, they won't let you get that close, and it usually costs a bunch of

money. . . "just to view". .
lmao.gif

Greg Bernhardt said:
Theoretically, if the alert bell carries a red number n, then the last n posts could be presented highlighted, thus marking the boundary between old and new.

What I find more disturbing is, that the red numbers don't refresh other by clicking. It indicates e.g. new alerts although I am currently on that page and have already read the new entry. Same goes for all other red numbers. They do not take the actual situation into account, whereas IIRC they did in the previous version.

Likes Wrichik Basu
jim hardy said:
You don't need to click on an alert to view it. You just look at the alert and read it. When you click on an alert and go to the thread, it then marks the thread as read in your watched threads list. There is confusion here when talking about alerts vs watched threads functionality. An alert is just a temporary notification message. The alert count is not an unread watched thread counter.

fresh_42 said:
Theoretically, if the alert bell carries a red number n, then the last n posts could be presented highlighted, thus marking the boundary between old and new.
There is a orange left side border to show new vs old alerts. I think the background changes to grey too. Do I need to make more apparent?

Greg Bernhardt said:
You don't need to click on an alert to view it. You just look at the alert and read it. When you click on an alert and go to the thread, it then marks the thread as read in your watched threads list. There is confusion here when talking about alerts vs watched threads functionality. An alert is just a temporary notification message. The alert count is not an unread watched thread counter.
He is not talking about seeing the alert itself, he is talking about reading the post that the alert refers to.
Even if it is not intended as an unread watched thread counter, I believe it is how many people have been using it.

Likes Tom.G
Greg Bernhardt said:
There is a orange left side border to show new vs old alerts. I think the background changes to grey too. Do I need to make more apparent?
I think the confusion is another. The orange bar is ok for one or two threads, but not for 20. I (we?) used to click on alert to see the list and then proceed bottom - top to check what we have missed while away.

Now the first click removes the red number whereas a second is needed to list all threads in the alert list. But meanwhile the new-old marker has vanished due to the first click. This was definitely better in the old version.

And a refresh updates the list, but does not update the number, which is disturbing. Similar with PM. If I have a current exchange of messages, back and forth, then - and this is better now than before - additional messages occur without an explicit contact to the server via refresh or so. However, the red number tries to catch my attention to what I actually just read. There is no check, whether those alerts or messages are nonsense because I'm already there.

Actually @Tom.G tried to say something like this:

When you hover/click upon the alerts, then the system assumes that you have read all the alerts at one go before closing the dropdown. But if someone reads one alert at a time - sees the alert, clicks on the thread, replies to the thread - and again checks the alert dropdown, then already all the alerts have been marked Read, and the person loses sight of which alert he has responded to, and which not.

Likes Tom.G, Ygggdrasil and jim hardy
Wrichik Basu said:
When you hover/click upon the alerts, then the system assumes that you have read all the alerts at one go before closing the dropdown. But if someone reads one alert at a time - sees the alert, clicks on the thread, replies to the thread - and again checks the alert dropdown, then already all the alerts have been marked Read, and the person loses sight of which alert he has responded to, and which not.

I understand that and maybe there is something I can do, but in general, it's just a notification system, not a watched thread tracker. When you get multiple alerts I would scan them all. If there are multiple threads, go to your watched thread page.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
I understand that and maybe there is something I can do, but in general, it's just a notification system, not a watched thread tracker. When you get multiple alerts I would scan them all. If there are multiple threads, go to your watched thread page.
That isn't the same. I get alerts for new threads in watched forums, but not on watched threads. The watched forums list would be double action in comparison to alert. And, at least for me, watched forums isn't really what I want to know. New threads, yes, new answers on the 100th QM thread, no. So the alert functionality was just perfect. The calculation routine for the little red numbers however is sub-optimal.

Likes Tom.G
fresh_42 said:
I get alerts for new threads in watched forums, but not on watched threads.
Please check your settings
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/preferences

Greg Bernhardt said:
This adds extra clicks because you would need to find that in a separate menu. Is there some way of adding a link to the watched threads page in the alerts drop-down?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Please check your settings
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/preferences
Sorry, I was unclear.

A new thread from a watched forum creates an alert. Good.
A new thread from a watched forum does not create an entry in the watched threads list. Sure, isn't on watch, yet.
Going to the watched threads list to cover this gap results in too many posts I'm not interested in anymore.

Thus, the alert list is a perfect tool to show new posts and watched threads; without having to check all forums.

Likes Orodruin
Thanks a Million Greg !
It Works.

old jim

Likes Wrichik Basu
What Orange border?

Clipboard01.jpg

Tom.G said:
What Orange border?
I changed it to red to match the alert counter. Only when you have new alerts.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Just a remark.

This summary thingy in SR/GR and QM was a brilliant idea! 2 lines to read instead of 30 just to find out whether it is of interest for someone or not.

@Greg Bernhardt Lately I've noticed pages (tabs in firefox) reloading without manually doing so via the firefox browser. What is the reason for this?

dlgoff said:
@Greg Bernhardt Lately I've noticed pages (tabs in firefox) reloading without manually doing so via the firefox browser. What is the reason for this?
The server is repolled for alerts every 30sec. We did this in PF4 too.

Likes dlgoff
fresh_42 said:
This summary thingy in SR/GR and QM was a brilliant idea! 2 lines to read instead of 30 just to find out whether it is of interest for someone or not.
Great, I can keep expanding it to other forums

Likes berkeman and Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
Great, I can keep expanding it to other forums
Unfortunately, it is impossible to quote from it - just like the problem statement in homework. In a summary, being able to quote it is even more relevant.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Orodruin said:
Unfortunately, it is impossible to quote from it - just like the problem statement in homework. In a summary, being able to quote it is even more relevant.
Yup, working on it

Likes jim hardy
Greg -- Oh No it disappeared ! :cry:

This seems to be a condition that does not have a high priority attached to it. I posted about it here a few weeks ago and there was no action taken then either. If others find it annoying and/or a reduced usability problem, chime in about it so it has a chance of being corrected.

Just one problem at a time and we will hopefully get back at least the usability of PF4.

Likes jim hardy
Tom.G said:
This seems to be a condition that does not have a high priority attached to it. I posted about it here a few weeks ago and there was no action taken then either. If others find it annoying and/or a reduced usability problem, chime in about it so it has a chance of being corrected.
This is not design but a result of low screen resolution. What device are you using @jim hardy?