What is the pH of a buffer solution with known concentrations of HClO and NaClO?

• Thread starter Xels
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer Ph
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the pH of a buffer solution that is 0.175M in HClO and 0.150M in NaClO. The solution is set up using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, but without a known Ka value, it is impossible to find the pH. Therefore, external sources or known values must be used to solve the problem.
Xels

Homework Statement

A 100.0mL buffer solution is 0.175M in HClO and 0.150M in NaClO.
Find the pH of the solution.

Homework Equations

Ka=10^-pH
([H30+][A-])/([HA])
-log([H30+]) = pH

The Attempt at a Solution

[HClO] [H3O+] [ClO-]
I .175 0 .150
C -x +x +x
E .175-x x .150+x

([x][.150+x])/([.175-x])
([x][.150])/([.175]) (assuming x is small)

This is where I'm stuck; having neither a pH nor Ka/Kb values. The homework is setup in such a way that we aren't expected to find known values from outside sources and none are provided in the text or in any previous problem sets. Because of this I'm assuming that there should be a way to find the hydronium concentration and/or the Ka, but I can't figure out how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Xels said:
This is where I'm stuck; having neither a pH nor Ka/Kb values. The homework is setup in such a way that we aren't expected to find known values from outside sources and none are provided in the text or in any previous problem sets. Because of this I'm assuming that there should be a way to find the hydronium concentration and/or the Ka, but I can't figure out how.

If you are not allowed to check the Ka value there is no way of solving the problem. Period. pH of a solution containing a weak acid and its conjugate base is a function of Ka.

Look for pKa and use Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. That's the simplest (and only realistic) way of solving the question.

Thank you; this is the point I was getting hung up on. Knowing that I'm not expected to deduce the Ka I'm willing to resort to known values.

1. What is a buffer?

A buffer is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It contains a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

2. How is the pH of a buffer calculated?

The pH of a buffer can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([conjugate base]/[weak acid]).

3. Can the pH of a buffer be adjusted?

Yes, the pH of a buffer can be adjusted by adding more of the weak acid or conjugate base, or by adding a strong acid or base.

4. What happens to a buffer if a strong acid is added?

If a strong acid is added to a buffer, the weak acid component of the buffer will neutralize some of the added acid, causing a small decrease in pH. However, the conjugate base will then act as a base and accept protons, maintaining the overall pH of the buffer.

5. How does the pH of a buffer change when more water is added?

The pH of a buffer will not change significantly when more water is added, as long as the number of moles of the weak acid and conjugate base remain constant. This is because the concentration of the buffer components will remain the same, and the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is not affected by changes in volume.