1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH Scales

1. May 20, 2006 #1
    I have to place two acids and two bases from a previous assignment on a pH scale using the information I acquired during that particular experiment. The problem is, I couldn't get all the materials I needed so I didn't get to do the assignment. I've been able to figure out what vinegar's pH is but I can't seem to figure out any others. Does anyone know of any sites I could use?

The things I can place are as follows:

Hydrogen peroxide
    Isopropyl alcohol
    Saline solution
    Pepto-Bismol
    Tonic water

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2
    Ah, I'm completely lost...:bugeye:

What is the relationship between [H+] and pH?

pH = -log [H+]

H3O+

I'm trying, desperately, to grasp something but my mind is blank. I'm not comprehending anything here...help...:cry:

4. May 21, 2006 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've given the relationship pH = -log [H+].

In this equation, [H+] is the concentration of the hydorgen ion in the solution. So, if you take the negative log of the hydrogen ion concentration (to the base 10), you get the pH.

Do you understand now?

5. May 21, 2006 #4
    Yes, I found another site that explained it better, worked through a couple of problems, and figured it out.:smile:

6. May 21, 2006 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

7. May 21, 2006 #6
    Ah, good site Borek, thanks!:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?