Phase shifting a measured signal directly in time domain

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for performing a phase shift on a time domain signal. It is suggested that this is typically done by first transforming the signal into frequency domain and then back to time domain. However, the individual's algorithm does the phase shift directly in time domain, leading to poor performance. There is also some discussion about the specifics of the algorithm and ways to potentially improve its execution time. Ultimately, it is discovered that there was a mistake in the algorithm that was causing the poor performance.
vco
I need to perform a phase shift for a measured time domain signal. The signal consists of around 1000 points. I wrote an algorithm for this in Python a while ago and it seems to work as intended, but now I noticed that the algorithm is actually unexpectedly slow.

Is it so that phase shifting is usually performed by first transforming the signal into frequency domain and then back to time domain once the shifting has been done? My algorithm does the phase shifting directly in time domain; is this the probable reason for the poor performance?

Edit: In other words (and maybe more specifically) I mean time-delaying a periodic signal. My data consists of a single period of the signal.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
How can we answer without knowing your algorithm. Is it a bucket brigade?

Likes pbuk
Are you conditioning the signal or messaging the data?

vco said:
Edit: In other words (and maybe more specifically) I mean time-delaying a periodic signal. My data consists of a single period of the signal.
This is still not very specific. Are you just shifting the data a fixed number of time steps in the array? If so, it should be very fast. Are you interpolating in some way to time-shift a non-integer amount of time steps? In that case, it might take a long execution time, depending on your interpolation method.

anorlunda said:
How can we answer without knowing your algorithm.
Quite right. :smile: I was just wondering whether the "direct" approach was known to be significantly worse in terms of performance compared to the apparently more common FFT approach.

hutchphd said:
Are you conditioning the signal or messaging the data?
The original signal will be used as input/reference for certain engineering calculations where the signal is time-delayed by various amounts according to other inputs.

FactChecker said:
This is still not very specific. Are you just shifting the data a fixed number of time steps in the array? If so, it should be very fast. Are you interpolating in some way to time-shift a non-integer amount of time steps? In that case, it might take a long execution time, depending on your interpolation method.
Non-integer amount of time steps.

Anyway, there was a silly mistake in my algorithm which increased the required number of operations by a factor of order n, where n is the number of points in the signal. All is good now. :smile:

1. What is phase shifting a measured signal directly in time domain?

Phase shifting a measured signal directly in time domain is a technique used in signal processing to manipulate the phase of a signal in the time domain. This involves changing the timing of the signal's individual components, which can affect the overall characteristics of the signal.

2. Why is phase shifting important in signal processing?

Phase shifting is important in signal processing because it allows for the manipulation of signals for various purposes, such as filtering, equalization, and synchronization. It can also be used to correct for phase distortion caused by transmission through different mediums or devices.

3. What are some common methods for phase shifting a signal in time domain?

Some common methods for phase shifting a signal in time domain include delay lines, all-pass filters, and phase shifters. These methods all involve manipulating the timing of the signal's components to achieve the desired phase shift.

4. How does phase shifting affect the frequency spectrum of a signal?

Phase shifting can affect the frequency spectrum of a signal by changing the relative timing of its components. This can result in changes to the amplitude and phase of the signal at different frequencies, which can alter its overall frequency spectrum.

5. What are some practical applications of phase shifting a signal in time domain?

Phase shifting has many practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, audio engineering, and radar technology. It can be used for tasks such as filtering out unwanted frequencies, correcting for phase distortion, and synchronizing signals for data transmission.