Passion for Physics and Education: PhD Options

In summary, there are opportunities to pursue a PhD in Physics with a focus on education and outreach, such as the program offered by Kansas State University. Similar programs may also be available in Europe, as suggested by a link list provided by MIT.
e.chaniotakis
Hello.
I am a Physicist with MSc in Experimental Particle Physics and for the last 3 years I work in the field of Science Education as a teacher trainer, and developer of inquiry based, ICT enhanced educational content in the field of Physics for K12 students in the RnD department of a school in Greece. I have been teaching Physics for more than 10 years in various institutions of the private law in Greece both for K12 students and for University students. I also do outreach of modern Physics in informal settings.

I wish to do a PhD which will combine my passion for Physics with my passion for education and outreach.

My question is if you could propose me a PhD that would help me towards this direction.
What should I look for? Should I focus on a purely Physics PhD or is there a way to combine Physics with education and outreach?

Thank you very much.
Best regards.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can do a Physics PhD which specializes in physics education. Rather than doing research for your dissertation you would be writing about improving educational techniques or something of the sort. Here is an example: https://web.phys.ksu.edu/info_us/degrees.html I'm not plugging that program and have no affiliation with it, but just as an example of the type of thing to look for.

Likes e.chaniotakis
Thank you very much.
It seems to be exactly what I am looking for. Do you happen to know if similar opportunities exist in Europe?

Here is a link list from MIT that includes programs in Europe: http://web.mit.edu/jbelcher/www/hp.html
Not all of the links work, so you'll have to individually search ones that are broken. Good luck!

thank you

What is a PhD in Physics and Education?

A PhD in Physics and Education is a graduate degree that combines advanced studies in physics with educational theory and practice. It prepares students for careers in both research and teaching, allowing them to become experts in their field while also gaining the skills to effectively educate others.

What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in Physics and Education?

There are many benefits to pursuing a PhD in Physics and Education. It allows you to gain a deep understanding of both physics and education, giving you a unique perspective and skill set that can be applied in various career paths. It also opens up opportunities for research and teaching positions at universities and other institutions.

What are the requirements for earning a PhD in Physics and Education?

The specific requirements for earning a PhD in Physics and Education may vary depending on the program, but generally, students must complete coursework, pass qualifying exams, and conduct original research leading to a dissertation. They may also be required to gain teaching experience and attend seminars and conferences.

What career options are available with a PhD in Physics and Education?

With a PhD in Physics and Education, individuals can pursue careers in academia as professors, researchers, or curriculum developers. They can also work in government or industry as science policy analysts, science educators, or science writers. Some may choose to combine their expertise in physics and education by working in science museums or outreach programs.

How long does it take to complete a PhD in Physics and Education?

The time it takes to complete a PhD in Physics and Education can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years. This can depend on factors such as the individual's research progress, teaching responsibilities, and program requirements. Some programs may offer accelerated options for students who already have a master's degree in a related field.