PhD in Theoretical Solid State Physics: Industry vs. Academia

In summary, the conversation consists of physicists discussing their education and careers, including degrees in physics, working in various fields such as medical physics, research, and teaching, and the use of photocathodes in electron accelerators.
Thallium
Who in here are physicists?

To those who are:Do you have a doctor degree? Do you work in a science institution or as tutors somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Thallium
Who in here are physicists?

To those who are:Do you have a doctor degree? Do you work in a science institution or as tutors somewhere?

That would be me. Just a BA. Disabled for the moment. Hope to get into medical physics soon.

I work as a researcher at a lab. I was in grad school. I was about 3/4 through when it got to be a bit too much. I already had a job doing research, and the combined work/school load was nasty. I always think about going back, but time is hard to come by nowadays. While it hasn't held me back, I don't recommend it. I got in during a boom when my skills were needed. My experience kept me working. But nowadays, I don't think I would be as lucky.

Njorl

I am working on my Ph.D. right now in nuclear and particle physics.
YEAH!
It is hard... and it makes my head hurt a lot... especially my good friend Mr. J.D. Jackson

I also got my B.S. in physics.
Cheers,
Norm

Another BS in Phyiscs here. I do not work directly in Physics. But then haveing the basic knowledge effects how I approach the problems of my job.

In Grad school, researching CMP.

JMD

i am doing my first year of a bachelor of science in physics hoping to do a full pHD. I am goin for the whole nine

Here a Physicist also (Ph.D.). Presently doing research at a university.

Ph.D. here, professor at a private college in the US.

OK, since we're doing a head count, physicist (Ph.D) here too. I'm working at Argonne National Laboratory near Chicago, IL.

My academic training and postdoctoral work were in experimental Condensed Matter Physics, but I am currently working in the field of accelerator physics, specifically on photocathode development for electron accelerators.

Zz.

So many exciting jobs!

What means BS and BA?

Ph.D is a doctor degree right? What sort of Ph.D do you guys have?

What Condensed Matter Physics all about?

To ZapperZ: Could you tell me a bit more about the photocathode for the electron accelerator? Its purpose etc..

Currently working on a BSc (Bachelor of Science) in both mathematics and physics. I'll hopefully get it by the end of the year.

Going for a MSc (Master of Science) in physics are applied mathematics next year.

So many exciting jobs!

What means BS and BA?

To ZapperZ: Could you tell me a bit more about the photocathode for the electron accelerator? Its purpose etc..

A Bs is a Bachelor of Science degree and a BA is a Bachelor of Art degree. The difference is usually just a few more lab classes for the BS major.
Cheers,
Norm

Originally posted by Norman
A Bs is a Bachelor of Science degree and a BA is a Bachelor of Art degree. The difference is usually just a few more lab classes for the BS major.
Cheers,
Norm

Sometimes there is no distinction and the BA/BS is a reflection on the school itself.

So many exciting jobs!

Ph.D. in General Relativity and Cosmology.

Originally posted by GRQC
Ph.D. in General Relativity and Cosmology.
I wasn't aware universities offered such degrees. Could you indulge us and tell us where you got them?

- Warren

Thalliu - Please check your "PM" - I sent you a personal message.

Arcon

Originally posted by chroot
I wasn't aware universities offered such degrees. Could you indulge us and tell us where you got them?

- Warren

Sigh... Picky picky. Ph.D. in physics; field of expertise GR et al. That better? I assumed that since we're on a physics forum, and also that GR is theoretical physics, then the association between academic department and specialization would be implied.

As the Chronicle of Higher Education would say, my degree is from Major Research U, and I work at Prestegious Liberal Arts College. That's as specific as I'm going to get.

Last edited:
i would be interested to kno wat Chroot has in terms of physics degrees? plse enlighten

I'm working on my Ph.D.

Yes I read your PM Arcon! Thank you for letting me know. At least there is no lack of good imagination :wink:

To Stingray, what sort of Ph.D?

To Stingray, what sort of Ph.D?

physics specializing in relativity

So many exciting jobs!

Condensed matter physics, to put it crudely, is the study of the physics of materials. Solid State physics is a major part of this field. So stuff like the physics of metals, insulators, semiconductors, superconductors, magnetism, etc., are all a part of condensed matter. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, the majority of practicising physicists (60%) are in the field of condensed matter/material science. It is certainly the largest division in the American Physical Society. If you want a more specific coverage of the area of this field, just pick up Physical Review B (I and II), which covers all articles in condensed matter, or pick up Physical Review Letters, which has two separate sections for condensed matter papers.

Photocathodes are cathodes, i.e. electron sources. A photocathode produces electrons via photoemission (i.e. photoelectric effect). Photocathodes are widely used in electron accelerators that are a part of linear accelerators (linacs), synchrotron centers, large particle accelerators such as the ones at CERN and Fermilab (as part of either a proton cooling technique, or to produce other heavy particle sources), and even medical applications. There's a good chance that a large hospital near you (of course, depending where in the world you are) would have a medical linear accelerator to produce intense X-ray.

Zz.

Originally posted by FUNKER
i would be interested to kno wat Chroot has in terms of physics degrees? plse enlighten
Actually, I have no physics degrees, and am quite a long way from getting one at this point. :frown:

- Warren

Its all good man atleast u r dedicated to the cause and the forum. :smile:

Actually, I have no physics degrees, and am quite a long way from getting one at this point. :frown:

- Warren

Be patient. It comes with time! :wink:

Originally posted by ZapperZ
In fact, unless I'm mistaken, the majority of practicising physicists (60%) are in the field of condensed matter/material science.

I don't doubt it given that nearly all industry jobs would require an emphasis in the is field. Even in academia, people are drawn towards fields where they can get jobs.

BS Engineering Physics, MS Physics both from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

I was working on my PhD in Physics (specifically, theoretical subatomic physics, also at RPI) until my thesis advisor died, and my funding died with him. Now I'm working on finding a new sugar daddy.

edit: typo

Originally posted by Tom
Now I'm working on finding a new sugar daddy.
Wear a short skirt. And wax your legs.

- Warren

Wear a short skirt. And wax your legs.

- Warren

That's really going to hurt...

B.S. in Molecular Biology with a minor in Nanoscience.

jeez, I feel like a youngin now

I'm only a sophomore working on my B.S in Physics at the moment.. hoping to get a Ph.D though

Originally posted by deltabourne
jeez, I feel like a youngin now

I'm only a sophomore working on my B.S in Physics at the moment.. hoping to get a Ph.D though

you feel like a youngin? Heck i don't even start my undergrad till the fall.

Originally posted by Tom
BS Engineering Physics, MS Physics both from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

I was working on my PhD in Physics (specifically, theoretical subatomic physics, also at RPI) until my thesis advisor died, and my funding died with him. Now I'm working on finding a new sugar daddy.

edit: typo

Tom - Sorry to hear about your thesis advisor.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute?? Cool. Good school. That's where Ohaninan teaches isn't it? Is he teaching there this semester?

Originally posted by pmb_phy
That's where Ohaninan teaches isn't it? Is he teaching there this semester?

Ohanian is an "emeritus professor" now. He hasn't taught since the late 80's, I think. But he is still actively researching, and he collaborated some with my late advisor, having developed an interest in particle physics.