Why is it important to start with simple axioms when building a system?

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between science and philosophy, with some participants arguing that science is a subset of philosophy while others believe they are separate disciplines. The role of belief and knowledge was also debated, with some stating that belief in something true constitutes knowledge, while others argued that justification is necessary for true knowledge. The conversation also touched on the limitations of human endeavors, such as science, in achieving ultimate truth. The topic of causation and association in scientific studies was also brought up, with one example being the link between frequency of sex and sexual dysfunction in older men. Overall, the conversation highlighted the complexities and limitations of both science and philosophy in providing definitive answers and truths.
LightbulbSun said:
Hmmm...you claim to be an expert, yet you just created a strawman against me. Again, I NEVER SAID I WAS AN EXPERT IN ANYTHING! If you can point to where I said this, then I'd be more than happy to accept this fact.

I never said you made an overt claim to being an expert.

1. I wasn't putting forth an argument. I was thinking deeply about what was being said, which is contemplation. That is different from philosophy.

2. I am not a philosopher.

Do you have any idea what an argument is? You're asserting a conclusion, and drawing upon various types of evidence and premises to demonstrate the truth of it. That isn't contemplation; that's argument.

I'd also counter that you're not thinking deeply at all. You're thinking rather shallowly.

I agree. So would you accept that knowledge and belief are antonyms too?

Are knowledge and disbelief synonyms? Are belief and ignorance?

I get up in arms about it because it's a waste of time to play captain obvious. Just like I get up in arms about someone saying "you can't prove that the sun will rise tomorrow." Wow, really? It's not useful in any sense. It's just a waste of time and paper to point this out to everyone.

When you're building a system, you need to start somewhere. Have you ever seen the axioms of foundational systems of logic and mathematics? They tend to be extremely simple, probably even obvious. You move from there. You're probably the first person I've ever come across to get pissed off at the obviousness and lack of depth found in the glossary of a book.

Physics news on Phys.org
loseyourname said:
I never said you made an overt claim to being an expert.

Well then why did you say this?

loseyourname said:
Keep reading and keep learning, and quit acting like an expert about something you know next to nothing about.

Do you have any idea what an argument is? You're asserting a conclusion, and drawing upon various types of evidence and premises to demonstrate the truth of it. That isn't contemplation; that's argument.

What conclusion am I asserting exactly?

Would you consider philosophizing and discussing to be synonymous?

I'd also counter that you're not thinking deeply at all. You're thinking rather shallowly.

In your opinion.

Are knowledge and disbelief synonyms? Are belief and ignorance?

Double yes.

When you're building a system, you need to start somewhere. Have you ever seen the axioms of foundational systems of logic and mathematics? They tend to be extremely simple, probably even obvious. You move from there. You're probably the first person I've ever come across to get pissed off at the obviousness and lack of depth found in the glossary of a book.

Yes, it's useful to point out the obvious as a refresher if you're trying to build something. It's useless to take the obvious and throw it out there in every single argument.