1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phobos shines!

1. Jun 26, 2003 #1

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2003 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i never realized how tiny phobos was compared to mars!

4. Jun 27, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In principle, a person could run and jump off of this tiny moon. I think the escape velocity is about 3m/s.

5. Jun 27, 2003 #4
    mmmm I just want to put some bacon and chedder cheese in that moon and eat it

6. Jun 27, 2003 #5
    Unprotected you would die first. It would probably be easier to just jump straight.

7. Jun 27, 2003 #6
    Very interesting Ivan; however, the escape velocity of Phobos is about 11.5 m/sec, so you couldn't jump straight up. I can't run that fast but a good sprinter could and thus, running off an appropriately positioned cliff, he could launch himself into space. That's about 26 mph; so I could probaly ride a bicycle into space;....well, at least I could throw baseballs into space.

It is quite amazing to realize that I could stand on a Martian moon and I could terrorize the Martian surface by pelting it with appropriately directed baseballs as often as I wish. It would be interesting to figure the enourmous increase in energy by which my feeble baseballs would decsimate the surface of Mars. (Assuming I could keep my baseballs from burning up in the Martian atmosphere). Or I could take a free ride on my bicycle in in a chosen direction such that I will end up on the surface of Mars (with quite an impact I might add)!!

It makes me think that Phobos may one day be a very stategic place if Mars ever becomes inhabited.
    Just a thought.:wink:

Creator

P.S. Thanks Phobos for the appetizing images.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2003
  8. Jun 27, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about Deimos? I remember 3m/s for something. Still, what a concept eh?

9. Jun 29, 2003 #8

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

More on this utterly fascinating little world...:wink:
    http://www.seds.org/billa/tnp/phobos.html

Kerrie - - yep, likely just a captured asteroid

Creator - - (re: biking to Mars) Just use airbags like NASA does!

10. Jun 29, 2003 #9

drag

Science Advisor

Any gold there ?!

11. Jun 29, 2003 #10
    He, He; good point; maybe I'll give it a try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?