Photoelectric Effect and electric fields

In summary, Dick is having trouble figuring out how the information given relates to electric and magnetic fields. He is trying to solve a problem but doesn't seem to be understanding what it is. He asks for help and thanks Dick for his help.
Dart82
I am having trouble figuring how the info given relates to electric and magnetic fields.

Homework Statement

A laser emits 1.38x10^18 photons per second in a beam of light that has a diameter of 1.96 mm and a wavelength of 518.0 nm. Determine each of the following for the electromagnetic wave that constitutes the beam.
(a) the average electric field strength in N/C

(b) the average magnetic field strength in T

Homework Equations

E = F/q for electric field

F = qvB sin(theta) for magnetic field

E=hf=hc/lambda for energy of a photon

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved for E the energy of a photon:
h*c/(518x10^-9m) = 3.84x10-19 Joules

I am not just some slacker begging for an answer; i have a high B in this class! i don't see how in the world the concept of the photoelectric effect can relate to electric and magnetic fields if i don't know q, F, B. I am completely lost here - someone please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The photoelectric effect is important here because you are given the rate of emission of photons in the beam and the wavelength (hence energy) of each photon. Together with dimensions of the beam this gives you the energy density in the beam. This energy density could also be calculated from averaged electric and magnetic fields associated with the light beam. So knowing the energy density should let you calculate the electric and magnetic field energy - hence the field intensity.

Do i add the area of the laser beam to the energy of each photon (E)? this is so frustrating...

Dart82 said:
Do i add the area of the laser beam to the energy of each photon (E)? this is so frustrating...

How can you add an area to an energy? Look, the laser runs for one second, emits 1.38x10^18 photons. Those photons are in a cylinder 1.96 mm in diameter and c*1sec long. What's the energy density?

Dick said:
How can you add an area to an energy? Look, the laser runs for one second, emits 1.38x10^18 photons. Those photons are in a cylinder 1.96 mm in diameter and c*1sec long. What's the energy density?
sorry, i misunderstood what you had said about the dimensions of the beam. i think i need to take a break and try this one again later. 5 hours of Physics homework has tweaked my brain a bit too much. thanks for your help Dick.

Yeah, take a break. BTW, this isn't a photoelectric effect problem either.

got it... no photoelectric effect.

Related to Photoelectric Effect and electric fields

1. What is the Photoelectric Effect?

The Photoelectric Effect is a phenomenon that occurs when light, usually in the form of photons, is shone on a metal surface and causes the emission of electrons from that surface.

2. How does the Photoelectric Effect relate to electric fields?

The Photoelectric Effect is caused by the interaction between photons of light and the electrons in the metal surface. This interaction is influenced by the presence of electric fields, which can either enhance or inhibit the effect.

3. What is the significance of the Photoelectric Effect?

The Photoelectric Effect was a key experiment in understanding the nature of light and the behavior of electrons. It provided evidence for the particle nature of light and led to the development of quantum mechanics.

4. How is the Photoelectric Effect used in modern technology?

The Photoelectric Effect is used in a variety of modern technologies, such as solar panels, photodiodes, and digital cameras. These technologies rely on the conversion of light energy into electrical energy through the Photoelectric Effect.

5. Can the Photoelectric Effect be explained by classical physics?

No, the Photoelectric Effect cannot be fully explained by classical physics. It was only fully understood through the development of quantum mechanics, which takes into account the dual nature of light as both a wave and a particle.