Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectric effect and SR

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

I would really appreciate any explanation on how these two are interrelated. Thanks. Preferably in simple terms.

Nish

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

About the only relationships that are immediately apparent is that they both involve light, and that Einstein authored papers on both topics.

What makes you think there is a relationship? Some more context would be helpful.

The photoelectric effect is generally taken to be evidence of the quantization of light, i.e. for quantum mechanics. It's not really all that relevant to SR in any obvious way.

4. Apr 23, 2007 #3
    my physics teacher told me to include it in my report. Something to do with the prooving SR? Does the effect somehow back it up?

5. Apr 23, 2007 #4

rbj

i could comment a little about this, but i believe that pervect would consider it heresy, so i'll just shut up.

6. Apr 23, 2007 #5
    what? i need help please my work is due in 8 hours!

7. Apr 23, 2007 #6
    photoeffect

Special Relativity, Photoelectric effect and methods of measuring Avogadro's Number. All started new areas of physics. ) Einstein took up Planck's theory ...
    www.launc.tased.edu.au/online/sciences/physics/photo-elec.html - 12k -

8. Apr 26, 2007 #7
    Maybe you could notice that, because of relativistic Doppler effect, if you vary the light source's speed with respect to the photodetector, you should have different light frequencies hitting it and so you should find electron's energies varying according to it.
    I don't know how much this could be useful for your question, however.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?