Solve Electron Velocity to Find Initial Energy State

In summary: The instructor was telling us about a test that is coming up and he mentioned something about the work function, velocity, and energy levels. He said that we should be able to find the initial energy state using the following equation:N_i=\sqrt{\frac{ke^2}{2 a_0 hc} - \frac{1}{\lambda} + n_f^2}
usfz28
My instructor was telling what would be on the upcoming test and he said something about:Given the velocity of an electron, the work function of a certain metal, and final energy level. We should be able to find the intial energy state. Sound pretty easy... to easy but here is what i was thinking...
Given the velocity of the electron, I can found out the kinetic energy of the electron 1/2MV^2=K.E.
With the K.E. I can then use f=((work funct)+(K.E.))/(H) to find the Freq. () With that I can then find λ=(C)/(F). to find λ the wavelength.
Then I finally can find the initial energy state by using:
N(initial)=Sq Root(((k(e)^2)/2(Aof zero)hc)-1/λ+n(final)^2))

Does that sound about right? Sorry about all the parenthesis :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?? :confused:

Yes,me,it looks okay.What does the last fomula represent...?Could u write it using LaTex...?

Daniel.

Ok ill try.Its the Blamer formula. This equation he gave us. It's not in the book it has to do with the bohr model. This is the way he gave it to us
1/λ=(K[tex]e^2[/tex]/2[tex]a_{0}[/tex]hc)(1/[tex]n_{f}[/tex][tex]^2[/tex] -1/[tex]n_{i}[/tex][tex]^2[/tex])

Where K=coloumb's constant
e=charge of electron
[tex]a_{0}[/tex]= lowest orbit radia (what you get when [tex]r_{n}[/tex]=1 bohr atom radi of orbit)
H=Planck's constant
c=speed of light
All those are known Rydberg constant
[tex]n_{f}[/tex]=final energy level
[tex]n_{i}[/tex]=initial enrgy level (this is what we are suppose to find)

Last edited:
N(initial)=Sq Root(((k(e)^2)/2(Aof zero)hc)-1/λ+n(final)^2))

i ended up with this

[tex]n_{i}=all sqroot(ke^2/2a_{0}[/tex]hc - [tex]\frac{\1}{\lambda} + n_{f}^2[/tex])

There is supposed to be a 1 over the lambda but couldn't figure it out

Last edited:
Hope you understand

usfz28:

Click on any equation to see the LaTeX code you need.

In the above case, it is:

[tex]N_i=\sqrt{\frac{ke^2}{2 a_0 hc} - \frac{1}{\lambda} + n_f^2}[/tex]

What is the formula for solving electron velocity to find initial energy state?

The formula for solving electron velocity to find initial energy state is E = 1/2 mv2, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the electron, and v is the velocity.

How do you determine the velocity of an electron?

The velocity of an electron can be determined using the equation v = √(2E/m), where v is the velocity, E is the energy, and m is the mass of the electron.

What are the units of measurement for electron velocity?

The units of measurement for electron velocity are meters per second (m/s).

Can you use this formula to solve for the initial energy state of any electron?

Yes, this formula can be used to solve for the initial energy state of any electron as long as the mass and velocity are known.

Why is it important to calculate the initial energy state of an electron?

Calculating the initial energy state of an electron is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules. It also allows us to predict the behavior of electrons in different energy levels and how they interact with each other.