Photon frequency boosting materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a material storing and reemitting photons at different wavelengths, specifically in regards to fluorescence and two-photon absorption. The concept of anti-Stokes shift is also mentioned as a potential factor in this process.
fractaloop
I've been reading about fluorescence and I understand how the band-gap accounts for reemission of photons at a longer wavelength.

However, can a material store a photon, and then given an external energy source reemit at a shorter wavelength?

I'm imagining an electrified "glass" that could absorb IR and reemit it in the visible spectrum. Granted, it likely wouldn't be in the same direction, but is it even possible for a material to do this?

I've read about Two-photon absorption which seems like a viable process, albeit at a greatly diminished intensity.

What do y'all think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
One can certainly imagine an atom excited by multiple photons to a high energy level and then losing all that energy in one go. There are quite a lot of other things that can happen too. Why would it not just de-energize in two steps as well?

But look up "anti-Stokes shift".

Two-photon_excitation_microscopy uses this, and frequency doubling is quite common in scientific experiments. I don't know how efficient those methods are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Photon frequency boosting materials

1. What are photon frequency boosting materials?

Photon frequency boosting materials are materials that are designed to enhance the frequency of photons, which are particles of light. These materials are used in various applications, such as solar panels, lasers, and optical sensors, to improve the efficiency and performance of these devices.

2. How do photon frequency boosting materials work?

Photon frequency boosting materials work by manipulating the energy levels of photons. When photons pass through these materials, they are absorbed and then re-emitted at a higher frequency, resulting in a more energetic and powerful beam of light.

3. What are some common types of photon frequency boosting materials?

Some common types of photon frequency boosting materials include semiconductors, quantum dots, and metamaterials. These materials have unique properties that allow them to effectively manipulate the frequency of photons.

4. What are the potential applications of photon frequency boosting materials?

Photon frequency boosting materials have a wide range of potential applications, including solar energy generation, telecommunications, medical imaging, and data processing. They can also be used to improve the performance of existing devices, such as solar panels and lasers.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with using photon frequency boosting materials?

While photon frequency boosting materials have many potential benefits, there are also some limitations and challenges associated with their use. These include the difficulty of producing and manipulating these materials, as well as the potential for negative environmental impacts if not used responsibly.