The Power of Photon Theory: How UV & IR Light Affect Skin Cells

In summary, different types of light have different energies and wavelengths, which affect their ability to penetrate materials and cause damage. Ultraviolet light has shorter wavelengths and higher energy, allowing it to excite atomic transitions and break bonds, while infrared light has longer wavelengths and lower energy, only causing a rise in temperature. X-rays and gamma rays have even higher energy and can cause mutations in DNA. Moles are thought to be caused by UV radiation damaging DNA in skin cells.
a.a
Ultraviolet light can kill skin cells but infrared light only warms skin cells even though both types of lights are from the sun. Why is this, explain using the photon theory...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework?

a class disscussion question... were not required to answer it but I am curious

What is the significance of UV vs IR, in terms of wavelength/frequency and energy?

Light of different energies will have different transmission capability. Highest energy photons like X-rays (think of hospital X-rays) and gamma rays can penetrate solid materials, with the depth of penetration increasing with energy.

Photons of shorter wavelengths are more energetic, and therefore can induce chemical transitions and disrupt bonds between molecules, damaging biological tissue. I think penetration depth isn't the real issue, as the cross section usually goes up with energy. Therefore, IR probably penetrates skin deeper than UV, (see also greenhouse effect), whereas other materials it would be different.

The key issue is that IR photons are only energetic enough to excite vibrational degrees of freedom (causing temperature rise), whereas UV photons can excite atomic transitions and break bonds. X-rays will do that and gamma rays can even cleave nuclei (spallation)

I believe infared and microwaves have longer wavelengths and thus less frequency than UV light does. That means the photons in the infared don't carry as much energy in them as the photons in UV light do.

Ibrits has it correct as far as saying how UV can excite electrons in different atoms enough to break bonds via the Photoelectric effect. X-rays and gamma rays (especially) are way more harmful to contact with the human skin and body and can casue mutation of genes even.

UV will cause mutation too, which is why we get moles =)

Moles are mutations in skin cells...not genes though. Gamma rays can mutate DNA strands.

NYSportsguy said:
Moles are mutations in skin cells...not genes though. Gamma rays can mutate DNA strands.

Uhm... When you say mutations in skin cells, you mean what exactly? Moles are thought to be in part caused by damage to DNA brought on by UV radiation, and can be precursors to melanomas.

1. How does UV light affect skin cells?

UV light can cause damage to skin cells by penetrating the outer layers of the skin and damaging the DNA. This damage can lead to mutations and potential skin cancer. UV light can also break down collagen and elastin, resulting in premature aging of the skin.

2. Can UV light be beneficial for skin cells?

In small doses, UV light can actually stimulate the production of vitamin D in the skin, which is essential for maintaining healthy bones and teeth. UV light can also help treat certain skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema.

3. What is the difference between UV and IR light?

UV light has a shorter wavelength and higher energy compared to IR light. UV light is responsible for causing sunburns and skin damage, while IR light is mostly responsible for heat and can penetrate deeper into the skin.

4. How can I protect my skin from UV and IR light?

To protect your skin from UV and IR light, it is important to wear sunscreen with a high SPF, protective clothing, and seek shade when possible. Additionally, using skincare products with antioxidants can help neutralize the damaging effects of UV and IR light.

5. Is there a safe way to tan and still protect my skin?

The safest way to tan is to use self-tanning products or spray tans, which do not involve exposure to UV or IR light. If you prefer to tan in the sun or a tanning bed, it is important to limit your time and always use sunscreen to protect your skin from damage.