Photon Upconversion: Neodymium YAG Laser & 478nm Wavelength

• Thread starter BernieM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a neodymium YAG laser for UV experiments and the possibility of using a calcite crystal to achieve a 478nm wavelength. It is mentioned that materials with birefringence such as lithium niobate, calcite, beta barium borate, KTP, and LBO can be used for second harmonic generation, but the key is to have proper phase matching inside the crystal. The conversation also mentions the use of Continuum Minilite, a laser that can be shifted to different wavelengths with the use of crystals and mirrors, but with some power loss. BBO crystals were also mentioned as being used in previous projects. The conversation concludes with a question about efficiency, to
BernieM
I suppose this is a 2 part question.

I saw a neodymium YAG laser being used for UV experiments at University of Portland a long time ago. They put the yellow-green light of the YAG through a piece of (I believe if memory serves me well enough) calcite crystal and it emerged as UV. Does the calcite crystal also work for 478nm wavelength?

and

Is there a relatively common material that will give photon upconversion in the 478nm wavelength region?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not quite sure what you want: Double 478 nm or get 478 nm by frequency doubling?
In the second case you might want to check the article on laser pointers in wikipedia, especially on blue laser pointers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_pointer#Green

I am looking to simply bring IR photons into the visible or uv wavelengths.

In principle any material with significant birefringence can achieve that. I guess simple second harmonic generation is what you are looking for. As that is a non-linear effect, you may need high intensities and therefore need some balance between reasonable birefringence and a good optical damage threshold.

Typical materials used for that purpose are lithium niobate, calcite and beta barium borate. KTP and LBO work just as well. The last few materials should be easy to get. It works at 478 nm. However, the key to second harmonic generation is phase matching inside the crystal, so you need a crystal which is cut in a certain way.

Last edited:
You may have seen a Continuum Minilite:
http://www.quantronixlasers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=648&Itemid=576#liintroTab

The YAG generates 1064 nm light; by inserting the appropriate crystals and dichroic mirrors it can be shifted to 532 nm, 355 nm, or 266 nm. There is loss of power with each conversion.

I used one of these a few years ago; I don't recall what type of crystals were used. On earlier projects I used BBO to shift from 780 nm to 390 nm, and a second crystal to convert that to 260 nm.

You can contact any of the optics houses for guidance on selecting appropriate crystals for a particular type of laser; for example: http://www.redoptronics.com/BBO-crystal.html

The answers you both have provided, answered my question very well. Thank you.
390nm would be great. 450 nm would be ideal.

Of the options mentioned, which provides the greatest efficiency?

1. What is photon upconversion?

Photon upconversion is a process in which multiple low-energy photons are converted into a single higher-energy photon. This can be achieved through various methods, including the use of neodymium YAG lasers and 478nm wavelength light.

2. How does a neodymium YAG laser work?

A neodymium YAG (yttrium aluminum garnet) laser works by exciting electrons in the neodymium ions within the laser crystal. When these electrons return to their ground state, they emit light at a specific wavelength, which can be controlled by adjusting the crystal composition and size. This process is known as stimulated emission and results in a coherent beam of light.

3. What is the significance of 478nm wavelength light?

478nm is a blue-green wavelength of light that falls within the visible light spectrum. This wavelength is significant because it is in the range of light that can be absorbed by neodymium ions, allowing for efficient energy transfer and photon upconversion.

4. What are the applications of photon upconversion using a neodymium YAG laser and 478nm wavelength light?

Photon upconversion has various applications in fields such as biomedical imaging, solar energy harvesting, and data storage. In biomedical imaging, it can be used to enhance the contrast and resolution of images, while in solar energy harvesting, it can improve the efficiency of converting solar energy into electricity. In data storage, it can increase the storage capacity and speed of optical storage devices.

5. Are there any challenges in using photon upconversion with a neodymium YAG laser and 478nm wavelength light?

One of the main challenges in using photon upconversion is the need for precise control of the laser and light sources to achieve efficient energy transfer and upconversion. Additionally, the process can be affected by factors such as temperature and impurities in the laser crystal. However, with advancements in technology and materials, these challenges can be overcome.