Exploring the Mystery of Disappearing Photons in a Sealed Box"

In summary, a photon is not a particle if it is trapped inside a theoretical perfect mirrored box and is not affected by a photon detector.
Quick Karl
If you had a perfectly sealed box that did not absorb energy, and was a perfect mirror on the inside, and you fired a stream of photons through a photon sized hole in the side of the box such that they would not reflect (bounce) back out through the hole, and you placed a photon detector inside the box, why do the photons disappear the instant you close the hole?

If photons are particles shouldn't they be trapped inside the box and detectable (seeable) forever?

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think they wouldn't stay there forever? (Well, until you destroyed them by detection)

By simply seeing a photon (detecting if your eyeball is a photon detector in the visible range), you destroy it?

Yes - your eye absorbs it.

So, a photon is not a particle then...

I am seeking something more than the typical classroom answer.

Back to the original question -- if photons were trapped inside the theoretical perfect mirrored box, it would be light in there forever, presuming we shot visible photons in...

Quick Karl said:

Your idea of what the meaning of the term "particle" in physics is, seems to be way off. In a nutshell particles can only be created or annihilated in discrete amounts. The term "particle" does not imply particles are like tiny balls or something.

Quick Karl said:
Back to the original question -- if photons were trapped inside the theoretical perfect mirrored box, it would be light in there forever, presuming we shot visible photons in...

It is not a realistic scenario as the photon gas and the walls will be at different temperature and will tend to thermalize, but for the sake of the simple scenario: if you managed to realize the unphysical case of a perfectly sealed box filled with mirrors which only reflect and do not absorb or transmit anything and if the photon number is so low that interactions with the vacuum state do not take place, the photons will stay inside the box forever.

However, please note that the assumption of that perfectly reflecting box is already unphysical.

Quick Karl said:

One of the least efficient ways to learn is to post a bunch of incorrect statements and wait for someone to correct them. We discourage that approach here.

Quick Karl said:

I am seeking something more than the typical classroom answer.

In the classroom I was taught that a photon is a "wave packet"; that's certainly not perfect, but I find it better than "particle" which leads to lots of misunderstandings. However, "wave packet" also has another meaning, notably in QM; thus both terms can be misunderstood. I guess that there is just a lack of English words...

(compare http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/particle?s=t :
Physics .
a. one of the extremely small constituents of matter, as an atom or nucleus.
b. an elementary particle, quark, or gluon.
c. a body in which the internal motion is negligible. )

PS I forgot: Welcome to Physicsforums :smile:

Last edited:
Maybe Quick Karls question simply leads back to our (current) lack of ability to comprehend the meaning of wave-particle dualism...?

RedSonja said:
Maybe Quick Karls question simply leads back to our (current) lack of ability to comprehend the meaning of wave-particle dualism...?

Current formalism of quantum mechanics has no such "lack of ability". What we have trouble doing is trying to shoehorn such formalism in outdated classical analogues. People are asking the photon to be described in ways it isn't.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Current formalism of quantum mechanics has no such "lack of ability". What we have trouble doing is trying to shoehorn such formalism in outdated classical analogues. People are asking the photon to be described in ways it isn't.

Zz.

I find that there's a basic difference between what we are able to describe mathematically and what we are able to comprehend. Inevitably this will lead to an abundance of stupid and/or strange questions seen from the photons perspective :-)

RedSonja said:
I find that there's a basic difference between what we are able to describe mathematically and what we are able to comprehend. Inevitably this will lead to an abundance of stupid and/or strange questions seen from the photons perspective :-)
:smile: :tongue2: :biggrin:

The most extreme idealization that you can make of this scenario is a single photon in a perfectly reflective box. That corresponds to the basic QM problem of a single particle in an infinite potential well, which is covered in pretty much every introductory textbook. The answer is that yes, once inside the particle will just keep bouncing around forever. You can see that by solving the time-dependent Schrodinger Equation for an infinite potential well.

However, if you put a detector in the box, that means you are putting something in the box which will interact with the photon. In this case, the photon will hit the detector and be absorbed. More precisely, it will be converted into the energy which is necessary to trip your detector, whatever that may be.

The bottom line is that the photon acts like a particle in some ways, but in other ways it does not. Specifically, it does not necessarily live forever the way that a particle does--by interacting with another object, it can be absorbed, after which there is nothing left in the box. Until that point, though, it will indeed keep bouncing around.

Excuse me, gentlemen,

I should have known better than to ask a question on an internet forum -- it seems always to bring out the best in people...

Nevertheless, the question still remains unanswered, unless you consider quips, sound bites, and insults, to be answers.

Vanadium50, if I am too far below your vast intellect, please, feel free to delete my account immediately.

Chopin,

Thank you. At least I have a path to follow now...

Quick Karl said:
I should have known better than to ask a question on an internet forum -- it seems always to bring out the best in people...

Asking a question is not the same as making a statement. The former usually works better if you want an answer.

Quick Karl said:
Excuse me, gentlemen,

Nevertheless, the question still remains unanswered, unless you consider quips, sound bites, and insults, to be answers.

Vanadium50, if I am too far below your vast intellect, please, feel free to delete my account immediately.
Sorry too: I thought that post #2 already already answered your question (and you failed to engage :uhh:). But now that I read it again, I realize that it may have been not that clear for you, so that you perhaps did not understand that it was a serious reply! :eek:

1. What are photons and why do they disappear in a sealed box?

Photons are particles of light that carry energy and electromagnetic radiation. In a sealed box, photons can disappear due to a phenomenon called photon absorption, where they are absorbed by the walls of the box and converted into heat energy.

2. Can photons reappear after disappearing in a sealed box?

Yes, photons can reappear after disappearing in a sealed box. This can happen through a process called photon emission, where the absorbed photons are released back into the box as light.

3. How is the mystery of disappearing photons being explored by scientists?

Scientists are conducting experiments using advanced instruments and techniques to study the behavior of photons in a sealed box. They are also using theoretical models and simulations to understand the phenomenon better.

4. What are the potential applications of understanding disappearing photons in a sealed box?

Understanding the disappearing photons in a sealed box can have applications in various fields, such as improving energy efficiency in buildings, developing better solar panels, and creating more efficient ways of storing and transmitting light energy.

5. What are some possible explanations for the disappearance of photons in a sealed box?

Some possible explanations for the disappearance of photons in a sealed box include photon absorption by the walls of the box, conversion of photons into other forms of energy, and the interaction of photons with other particles inside the box.