PHP IDE and Tools

• PHP
  • Thread starter Ronnin
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I've never used the language before but I would like to start moving away from Windows as a server platform. PHP from what I can tell, and have read on this board, is a good choice for coding on a *nix platform. Can anyone recomend an IDE and any other tools that might come in handy for web development. This whole patent deal with MS has really turned me off to any language (C# is what I use now) that is proprietary to them.

Answers and Replies

-Job-
Science Advisor
There's Zend Studio, but it's not free. I think Eclipse Org is also in the process of developing a PHP IDE.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just use a decent editor on Unix. Your text editor and your web browser together comprise your "IDE." :smile:

- Warren

Just use a decent editor on Unix. Your text editor and your web browser together comprise your "IDE." :smile:

- Warren
Your killing me, :tongue2: . You probably like to use Notepad to do your HTML. Debugger be damned aye?

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nope, I'm not a Notepad user -- and wouldn't use a text editor for HTML. HTML is not really a programming language, though.

- Warren

HTML is just a pain. I will let you know how my "hello world" goes.:cool: Wish me luck!

php editor

I think any php editor must has code highlighting, outocomplete to type code fast,
integrated help on php, mysql, html, ability to find declarations for user's functions, classes within the

project, and of course debugger.
Text editor isn't for php development. I use Codelobster php Edition (www.codelobster.com). Handy php editor,

free, with all basic functionalities of php IDE.

There I found also not bad text editor CodeLobster. Who used to type code in text editor could try it too.

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Your killing me, :tongue2: . You probably like to use Notepad to do your HTML. Debugger be damned aye?
I'm a Notepad HTML writer. Occasionally I've found myself using Crimson Editor, which is as close as I get to an IDE for that sort of thing.