What is the angle that \vec{C} makes with the positive x axis?

In summary, the conversation involved finding the components of a vector with length 1.00 and angle 30.0º, using the equations opp = hypcos(θ) and adj = hypcos(θ). However, the initial attempt was incorrect and a question was raised about the angle the vector makes with the positive x-axis. After correcting the mistake and finding the correct angle of 60º, the conversation concluded with confirmation of the solution.
Paymemoney

Homework Statement

Find the components of the vector [tex]\vec{C}[/tex] with length c = 1.00 and angle [tex]\phi = 30.0^{\circ}[/tex] as shown.

NV_ct.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]opp=hypcos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]adj=hypcos(\theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

tried to use the above equations to answer the question, however when i looked in the answers it was incorrect.
Answer i got was x=0.866 and y=0.5

When i realized that it was between the vector and the y axis, i found that the angle didn't make contact with the x-axis, so my question is What is the angle that [tex]\vec{C}[/tex] makes with the positive x axis?

P.S

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Paymemoney! :smile:
Paymemoney said:

Homework Equations

[tex]opp=hypcos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]adj=hypcos(\theta)[/tex]

erm :redface: … they can't both be right, can they? :biggrin:
When i realized that it was between the vector and the y axis, i found that the angle didn't make contact with the x-axis, so my question is What is the angle that [tex]\vec{C}[/tex] makes with the positive x axis?

Start at the positive x-axis, go round to the y-axis, then go round some more … that's your angle! :wink:

But the main thing you've done wrong is that the dotted line marked "x" on your diagram isn't x, is it? :smile:

tiny-tim said:

erm :redface: … they can't both be right, can they? :biggrin:

oops, meant to be [tex]opp=hypsin(\theta)[/tex]

tiny-tim said:
Start at the positive x-axis, go round to the y-axis, then go round some more … that's your angle! :wink:

But the main thing you've done wrong is that the dotted line marked "x" on your diagram isn't x, is it? :smile:

ok so i got 600 degrees, what is the next step i should take to solve [tex]\vec{C}[/tex]

(have a degree: º and a theta: θ and a phi: φ :wink:)
Paymemoney said:
ok so i got 600 degrees …

hold it!

however did you get 600º ? :confused:

well i went around the the axis 2 times o_o

Paymemoney said:
well i went around the the axis 2 times o_o

Still not 600º. :confused:

Anyway, just go from the x-axis to the y-axis anticlockwise, and then carry on to C.

ok this is what i have done:

vectorquess.JPG

tell me if this is correct.

Yes, that's exactly correct. :smile:

The "first quadrant" (top-right) is 0º to 90º, the "second quadrant" (top-left) is 90º to 180º, and so on. :wink:

What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

How do you solve vector problems in physics?

To solve vector problems in physics, you can use the mathematical operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. You will also need to use trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to find the components of the vector in different directions.

What are the different types of vector problems in physics?

The different types of vector problems in physics include finding the resultant of two or more vectors, finding the components of a vector, finding the angle between two vectors, and finding the displacement of an object in a given direction.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems in physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems in physics include not considering the direction of the vectors, using the wrong trigonometric function, and not using the correct units for the vector quantities.

How can I improve my skills in solving vector problems in physics?

To improve your skills in solving vector problems in physics, practice regularly and make sure you understand the concepts behind the mathematical operations. You can also seek help from your teacher or peers if you are struggling with a particular problem.