1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Physical degrees of freedom of an Electromagnetic field

1. May 1, 2017 #1
    As I understand it, the classical source-free electric, ##\mathbf{E}## and magnetic, ##\mathbf{B}## wave equations are solved by solutions for the electric and magnetic fields of the following form: $$\mathbf{E}=\mathbf{E}_{0}e^{i (\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}-\omega t)}$$ $$\mathbf{B}=\mathbf{B}_{0}e^{i (\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}-\omega t)}$$

Naively counting the degrees of freedom (dof) at this point it would appear that the electromagnetic field has 6 dof.

However, is it correct that Maxwell's equations provide 4 constraints: $$\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{E}_{0}=0 \\ \mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{B}_{0}=0$$ $$\mathbf{E}_{0}=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{\mu_{0}\varepsilon_{0}}}\mathbf{k}\times\mathbf{B}_{0}$$ and $$\mathbf{B}_{0}=\sqrt{\mu_{0}\varepsilon_{0}}\mathbf{k}\times\mathbf{E}_{0}$$
    Thus reducing the number of physical dof to 2?!

If the above is correct what do these remaining dof correspond to? Are they simply the two possible polarisation (unit) vectors ##\mathbf{\epsilon}_{1}##, ##\mathbf{\epsilon}_{2}## that one can construct such that $$\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{\epsilon}_{1}=\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{\epsilon}_{2}=0$$ and $$\mathbf{k}\times\mathbf{\epsilon}_{1}=\mathbf{\epsilon}_{2}\\ \mathbf{k}\times\mathbf{\epsilon}_{2}=-\mathbf{\epsilon}_{1}$$ and hence ##\lbrace\mathbf{k},\;\mathbf{\epsilon}_{1},\;\mathbf{\epsilon}_{2}\rbrace## form an orthornormal basis, such that the general solutions for ##\mathbf{E}## and ##\mathbf{B}## are linear combinations of ##\mathbf{\epsilon}_{1}## and ##\mathbf{\epsilon}_{2}##?!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2017 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. May 3, 2017 #3
    Ok cool.
    So are the two physical degrees of freedom simply the choice of a component for the polarisation ##\mathbf{\epsilon}_{1}##, and the choice of a component for the polarisation vector ##\mathbf{\epsilon}_{2}## (in principle, they both have 3 dof, but the requirement that ##\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{\epsilon}_{1}=\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{\epsilon}_{2}=0## and ##\mathbf{\epsilon}_{1}\cdot\mathbf{\epsilon}_{2}=0##, reduces their dof to one each)?

5. May 3, 2017 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's a nice way to put it.

6. May 3, 2017 #5
    Great. Thanks for your help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted