Physical meaning of orbital polarization?

In summary, the Orbital Polarization (OP) is defined as a measurement of the difference in occupancy between the ##d_{x^2-y^2}## and ##d_{z^2}## orbitals. This is caused by the presence of strain, which lifts the degeneracy of the orbitals and results in one orbital having a higher electronic occupancy. This is not related to Orbital Hybridization, as it only considers the occupancy of the orbitals rather than any modifications to the orbitals themselves. It is important to note that orbitals are only approximations of the actual electronic wave function and do not take into account factors such as chemical bonding. The change in occupancy is likely due to a difference in energy between
phys_student1
In this paper, the Orbital Polarization (OP) is defined as:

$$OP=\frac{n_{x^2-y^2}-n_{z^2}}{n_{x^2-y^2}+n_{z^2}}$$

where $$n_i$$ is the occupancy of that given orbital. I would like to understand the physical meaning of this. Also, is there a difference between OP and Orbital Hybridization?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an expert in the field, so do not take what I write here with any authority. It is simply my interpretation.

From what I get from the article, I take it that under normal conditions, the ##d_{x^2-y^2}## and ##d_{z^2}## orbitals would be equally populated by electrons. The presence of strain will lift that degeneracy, and one orbital will end up with a higher electronic occupancy (probability). This is what orbital polarization "measures."

It does not seem to be related to hybridization, in that it does not consider that the orbitals themselves are modified, only their occupancy. Also, hybrid orbitals are usually constructed from equal proportions of the base orbitals.

I think you should keep in mind that orbitals are basically single electron solutions, and do not take into account the presence of other electrons in the atom, or chemical bonding. It is expected that the actual electronic wave function will be only approximated by considering that electrons occupy disctinct orbitals. Orbital polarization appears as one way to take this into account.

"The presence of strain will lift that degeneracy, and one orbital will end up with a higher electronic occupancy (probability)"

Does this mean the two orbitals will have different energy? This is what first come to my mind when I see "degeneracy lifting".

phys_student1 said:
"The presence of strain will lift that degeneracy, and one orbital will end up with a higher electronic occupancy (probability)"

Does this mean the two orbitals will have different energy? This is what first come to my mind when I see "degeneracy lifting".
I was paraphrasing the article:
One of the major effects of epitaxial strain or heterostructuring is the degeneracy lifting of the ##e_g## states, resulting in ‘orbital polarization’ (OP) of the electronic structure.
I interpreted that as meaning that in the absence of strain, the ##d_{x^2-y^2}## and ##d_{z^2}## orbitals would have the same energy, and thus be equally populated.

There must be something changed that causes them to have different occupancy. This thing should be the energy of each orbital. Do you agree with this interpretation?

phys_student1 said:
There must be something changed that causes them to have different occupancy. This thing should be the energy of each orbital. Do you agree with this interpretation?
Sounds reasonable.

Thanks.

Related to Physical meaning of orbital polarization?

1. What is orbital polarization?

Orbital polarization refers to the redistribution of electrons in an atom or molecule, resulting in a non-uniform distribution of electron density around the nucleus.

2. What causes orbital polarization?

Orbital polarization can be caused by external factors such as the presence of a nearby electric field or magnetic field, or by internal factors such as the interactions between electrons in the atom or molecule.

3. How is orbital polarization measured?

Orbital polarization can be measured using various spectroscopic techniques, such as X-ray absorption spectroscopy or Raman spectroscopy, which can provide information about the electronic structure and distribution of electrons in a sample.

4. What is the physical significance of orbital polarization?

Orbital polarization plays a crucial role in many important physical and chemical processes, such as catalysis, magnetism, and the formation of chemical bonds. Understanding its physical meaning can provide valuable insights into these processes.

5. Can orbital polarization be controlled?

Yes, orbital polarization can be controlled by manipulating the external factors that influence it, such as changing the strength or direction of an applied electric or magnetic field. This can have significant implications in fields such as materials science and nanotechnology.