Physical Physiology / Biology Text Book

In summary, I recommend looking into introductory biophysics textbooks and online resources for a conceptual understanding of biology through the lens of physics.
JaredEBland
I came across a blog post or some internet page (probably a year ago now) saying that since the 1970s biological systems could be described purely in terms of physics. I tried searching for a decent text that describes biology and chemistry in terms of rudimentary physics but couldn't find anything too cheap. I'm looking for a text that does not go into the nitty gritty physics of biology and physiology, but more conceptual physics. I'm looking for a text for a friend, she has some (very) basic calculus skills, but understands the actual physics in the first two introductory physics courses.

To get a feel for what I'm asking about, here's an example: A friend of mine took physiology and in studying for her final came across in notes when the blood vessels dilate the blood speed slows, and she didn't understand it. I explained it roughly using the conversation of volume (really it's mass, but I don't see the blood being compressed much) in that when the pipe gets wider, the speed slows for the same volume of blood per second. The next week's slide said that the blood flow increased when the vessels got larger. She then became confused over the "conflicting" messages. I similarly said that when the flow increased, while the speed is slower, if you look at the volume of blood per second you can still have a larger volume of blood flowing since you can look at a little cylinder section of the vessel. I'm not really looking for describing biology in terms of dynamical systems or networks that make it all work, but more of a biology explained in basic physics.

Any advice on a text? I asked one of my professors; however, he was not able to name a text along those lines. Apparently, algebra based physics texts are being adapted with more biological applications. Rather than physics with biology related problems, I'd like a text that relates the biology and physics together as a part of the main text.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question and interest in understanding biology through the lens of physics. I can assure you that the idea of describing biological systems purely in terms of physics is not a new one. In fact, the field of biophysics has been around for decades and is dedicated to studying biological processes using the principles of physics.

In terms of finding a text that explains biology in basic physics terms, I would recommend looking into introductory biophysics textbooks. These texts are specifically designed to bridge the gap between biology and physics and can provide a more conceptual understanding of how physical laws govern biological systems.

Some examples of introductory biophysics textbooks include "Biophysics: An Introduction" by Rodney Cotterill and "Biophysics: A Physiological Approach" by Gordon G. Hammes. These texts are written for students with a basic understanding of physics and do not require advanced mathematical skills.

Additionally, I would also recommend checking out online resources such as Khan Academy or Coursera, which offer free courses on biophysics and other related topics. These platforms often have interactive materials and videos that can help make the concepts more accessible and engaging.

I hope this helps in your search for a text that relates biology and physics together. Best of luck to you and your friend in your studies.

1. What is physical physiology?

Physical physiology is the branch of biology that studies the physical and mechanical functions of living organisms. It focuses on the physical processes that occur within the body, such as movement, respiration, and circulation.

2. What topics are typically covered in a physical physiology textbook?

A physical physiology textbook typically covers topics such as the structure and function of cells, tissues, and organs, the musculoskeletal system, the nervous system, and the respiratory, digestive, and circulatory systems. It may also include information on homeostasis, energy metabolism, and human development.

3. How is physical physiology different from other branches of biology?

Physical physiology differs from other branches of biology, such as molecular biology or ecology, in that it focuses specifically on the physical and mechanical aspects of living organisms. Other branches may focus on different levels of organization, such as molecular or ecological processes.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in physical physiology?

Individuals with a background in physical physiology may pursue careers in fields such as medicine, physical therapy, sports science, and biomechanics. They may also work in research laboratories, teaching and education, or in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.

5. How can studying physical physiology benefit everyday life?

Studying physical physiology can provide a better understanding of how the body functions and how to maintain good health. It can also help individuals make informed decisions about their own health and wellness, such as choosing appropriate exercise and nutrition habits. Additionally, physical physiology research can lead to advancements in medical treatments and technologies that can improve overall quality of life.