What Is the Collision Height of Two Balls with Different Initial Velocities?

• Thread starter justagirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    1d Physics
In summary: Yes, that is correct. 2.1 If the speed at x = 1 m is zero, what is the speed at x = 3 m? By integration, should V = x squared? No. 2.2 How long does it take to travel from x = 1 to x = 3 m? It takes 3 m to travel from x = 1 to x = 3.
justagirl
Problem 1

Ball A is dropped from the top of a building of height H at the same instant ball B is thrown vertically upward from the ground. First consider the situation where the balls are moving in opposite directions when the collide. If the speed of ball A is m times the speed of ball B when they collide, find the height at which they collide in terms of H and m. Take x = 0 at the ground, positive upward.

1.1 With two equations, describe the conditions at the collision (position and velocities of the balls).

- I got Xa = H - 1/2gt2
Xb = Vob(t) - 1/2gt2

At collision: Xa = Xb
H = Vob(t)

Va = -gt
Vb = Vob - gt

At collision, Va = Vb

t = mVob/2g

so Va = -g(mVob)/2g
Vb = Vob - g(mVob)/2g

1.2 Write the expressions for position and velocity of the balls as a function of time.

See above

1.3 Solve the above equations to find the height at which the balls collide. Your answer should be expressed as a fraction of the height of the building H and it should depend on the speed ratio m.

I tried solving it but couldn't eliminate the Vob...help!

1.4 Now suppose that m can be negative (i.e. balls A and B are moving in the same direction when they collide). Use the formula derived above to graph the height of the collision (again expressed as a fraction of the building height H) as a function of m for -5 < m < 5. Are there values of m for which the answer is unphysical?

Problem 2

Suppose, for a change, the acceleration of an object is a function of x, where a(x) = bx and b is a constant with a value of 2 seconds-2. In order to solve this problem you should use the chain rule: for arbitrary variables u, v and t, remember that dr/dt = (dr/ds) * (ds/dt).

2.1 If the speed at x = 1 m is zero, what is the speed at x = 3 m? Be sure to show your work.

By integration, should V = x squared?

2.2 How long does it take to travel from x = 1 to x = 3 m?

Problem 3

A small rock sinking through water experiences an exponentially decreasing acceleration as a function of time, given by a(t) = ge-bt, where b is a positive constant that depends on the shape and size of the rock and the physical properties of water.

3.1 Derive an expression for the position of the rock as a function of time, assuming the initial speed of the rock is zero.

3.2 Show that the rock's acceleration can be written in a simple form involving its speed v: a = g - bv (still assuming that its initial speed is zero). This is, perhaps, a more common form of expressing acceleration in the presence of drag.

Physics news on Phys.org
comments on Prob 1

justagirl said:
1.1 With two equations, describe the conditions at the collision (position and velocities of the balls).

- I got Xa = H - 1/2gt2
Xb = Vob(t) - 1/2gt2

At collision: Xa = Xb
H = Vob(t)
Good.
Va = -gt
Vb = Vob - gt
Good.

At collision, Va = Vb
No. Speed(a) = m x speed(b). Note: speed, not velocity. So that means:
gt = m(v0b -gt)

and...

thanks doc, but I still don't see how I can eliminate Vob...

justagirl said:
thanks doc, but I still don't see how I can eliminate Vob...
Combine these two equations:
(1) gt = m(v0b -gt)
(2) H = V0b(t)

Eliminate V0b, solve for t.

mhmm if m=2... i got Xa = (2/3)H...

is that right?

Last edited:

1. What are the different types of 1D problems in Physics?

There are four main types of 1D problems in physics: kinematics, dynamics, energy, and rotational motion. Kinematics deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces acting on them. Dynamics involves the forces and their effects on objects in motion. Energy focuses on the relationship between energy and motion. Rotational motion deals with the motion of objects that are rotating around a fixed axis.

2. How do I approach solving 1D problems in Physics?

The first step in solving a 1D problem in physics is to identify the type of problem it is (kinematics, dynamics, energy, or rotational motion). Then, draw a diagram to visualize the problem and label all known and unknown quantities. Next, choose an appropriate equation or set of equations to solve for the unknown quantity. Finally, plug in the known values and solve for the unknown.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving 1D problems in Physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving 1D problems in physics include not including direction in calculations, using incorrect equations or formulas, and not properly converting units. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

4. How can I improve my understanding of 1D problems in Physics?

To improve your understanding of 1D problems in physics, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to review the underlying concepts and equations. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher, join a study group, or watch online tutorials and lectures.

5. How are 1D problems in Physics relevant to real life?

1D problems in physics are relevant to real life as they help us understand and predict the motion and behavior of objects in our everyday lives. For example, kinematics can help us understand the motion of a car or a ball thrown in the air, while dynamics can help us understand the forces acting on a bridge or a roller coaster. Energy calculations can also be applied to real-life scenarios, such as calculating the energy required to power a vehicle or a household appliance.