Physics 2 exam review question

In summary, a proton with an initial velocity of 6.28x10^5 m/s is moving towards a large conducting sphere with a radius of 85.2 cm and a charge of 4.83 μC. To determine how close the proton can come to the surface of the sphere, one must find the electric potential at the location of the proton, which can be calculated using the equation V=(1/(4πε0))(q/r). To find the electric potential at the location of the proton at the time its velocity is 6.28x10^5 m/s, the distance between the proton and the center of the sphere must be known.
AnthroMecha

Homework Statement

A proton is moving with an initial velocity of 6.28x10^5 m/s straight towards a large conducting
sphere of radius 85.2 cm. The sphere has a charge of 4.83 μC on it. Protons have a mass of
1.69x10^-27 kg.

a) Determine how close the proton can come to the surface of the sphere.
b) What is the voltage on the surface of the sphere?

Homework Equations

possibly 1/2mv^2=-qΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't even know where to begin on this one

Physics news on Phys.org
AnthroMecha said:

Homework Statement

A proton is moving with an initial velocity of 6.28x10^5 m/s straight towards a large conducting
sphere of radius 85.2 cm. The sphere has a charge of 4.83 μC on it. Protons have a mass of
1.69x10^-27 kg.

a) Determine how close the proton can come to the surface of the sphere.
b) What is the voltage on the surface of the sphere?

Homework Equations

possibly 1/2mv^2=-qΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't even know where to begin on this one
That's a good relevant equation, since at closest approach, the proton's velocity will be zero.

What is the electric potential at the location of the proton, due to the sphere?

SammyS said:
That's a good relevant equation, since at closest approach, the proton's velocity will be zero.

What is the electric potential at the location of the proton, due to the sphere?

I'm coming up with 50964.4V electric potential (I may be using the wrong equation).

I used V=(1/(4πε0))(q/r)

q=4.83μC, r=85.2cm

AnthroMecha said:
I'm coming up with 50964.4V electric potential (I may be using the wrong equation).

I used V=(1/(4πε0))(q/r)

q=4.83μC, r=85.2cm
That's good for part (b).

To find the potential due to the sphere at the location of the proton at the time its velocity is 6.28×105 m/s, you have to know how far the proton is from the center of the sphere at that time.

Did they give that quantity ?

SammyS said:
That's good for part (b).

To find the potential due to the sphere at the location of the proton at the time its velocity is 6.28×105 m/s, you have to know how far the proton is from the center of the sphere at that time.

Did they give that quantity ?

no. I'm wondering if it involves some sort of integral. I hope there's nothing like this one on the test, because I have to go take it in an hour, lol! I kind of procrastinated a bit on this one. :(

1. What topics should I focus on for the Physics 2 exam?

The Physics 2 exam covers a variety of topics, including electromagnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and quantum mechanics. It is important to review all of these topics, but pay extra attention to areas where you may have struggled in your coursework.

2. How should I study for the Physics 2 exam?

Studying for the Physics 2 exam requires a combination of reviewing notes and practice problems. Make sure to go over your class notes and any study guides provided by your instructor. Then, practice solving problems from your textbook or online resources to test your understanding and identify any areas that need more review.

3. How should I approach multiple choice questions on the Physics 2 exam?

When answering multiple choice questions, carefully read each question and all possible answer choices. Eliminate any obviously incorrect options and then use your understanding of the topic to make an educated guess among the remaining choices. Be sure to also check your work and make sure you have answered the question being asked.

4. What formulas should I memorize for the Physics 2 exam?

The Physics 2 exam will likely provide you with a formula sheet, but it is still important to memorize the most commonly used formulas. These include the equations for electric force, electric potential, Ohm's law, and the equations for calculating work, energy, and power.

5. How can I prepare for the math-heavy questions on the Physics 2 exam?

To prepare for the math-heavy questions, make sure you have a strong understanding of the relevant mathematical concepts, such as calculus, trigonometry, and algebra. Practice solving problems that require these skills, as well as reviewing any mathematical formulas that may be needed for the exam.