Physics A123 Acceleration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation needed to solve for the speed required for a person to reach a height of 130cm off the ground. The equation given has two unknowns, so another equation with only one unknown is suggested. The final velocity at the top of the jump and the acceleration must be known to use the suggested equation. The student is a first-time physics student and is struggling with the subject. The equation for the final velocity is discussed, but the answer cannot be provided due to warnings for giving answers.
c_barrera2

Homework Statement

Excellant human jumpers can leap strait up to a height of 130cm off the ground. To reach this height, with what speed would a person need to leave the ground?

Homework Equations

I would just like to know what equation I would need to solve this,

The Attempt at a Solution

xf = xi +(vx) (delta)t + 1/2ax(deltat)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the equation you list has 2 unknowns , vx and t (a is known), you can't solve it without another equation. Why not instead try another equation that has just one unknown, vx (the initial velocity)? You must first note what is the the final velocity at the top of the jump, and what is the acceleration?

you can use this eqn

v^2 - u^2 = 2as

Last edited:
hmmmm, yeah this is all the iformation its giving me, I'm trying to find the (Vx)f, the final velocity of this person. if I'm not mistaken this equation would look like a parabola, right?

ya see I'm a first time physics student you know...and generally I can teach myself a a subject, haha but physics it not just any other subject...its like the king of all science subjects

why 2 unknowns?
my eqn gives you the answer ... can't write the answer ... got warnings for writing answers ...

what do you think v(final) would be?

Related to Physics A123 Acceleration problem

1. What is the "Physics A123 Acceleration problem"?

The "Physics A123 Acceleration problem" refers to a physics problem that involves calculating the acceleration of an object based on its initial velocity, final velocity, and time. It is often used as a practice problem or test question in introductory physics courses.

2. How do you solve the "Physics A123 Acceleration problem"?

To solve the "Physics A123 Acceleration problem," you can use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time. Simply plug in the known values and solve for the acceleration.

3. What units are used to measure acceleration in the "Physics A123 Acceleration problem"?

The units used to measure acceleration in the "Physics A123 Acceleration problem" are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2) may also be used.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving the "Physics A123 Acceleration problem"?

Some common mistakes made when solving the "Physics A123 Acceleration problem" include using the wrong formula, not converting units correctly, and not paying attention to the direction of the initial and final velocities. It is important to double-check all calculations and units when solving this problem.

5. Why is the "Physics A123 Acceleration problem" important?

The "Physics A123 Acceleration problem" is important because it helps students understand the concept of acceleration and how it is related to an object's initial and final velocities. It also allows students to practice using formulas and solving problems in a real-world context, which is essential for understanding physics principles. Additionally, acceleration is a fundamental concept in many areas of science and engineering, making it an important skill to master.