Physics(astronomy) major vs engineer major

In summary: And if I pursued engineering and didn't do well, I would still kick myself. But if I pursued physics and didn't do well, I would know that I made the wrong decision.In summary, if you want to pursue a physics-related degree at the undergraduate level, it's important to take math classes that are common to both engineering and physics curriculums. If you plan on doing a PhD, then engineering becomes more theoretical and more closely linked to what a physicist does.
ujjwal3097
Hi
I am a high school student and currently planning to apply for undergrad studies but i am bit confused in deciding my major.I am pretty sure that I want to major in field related to physics .I am interested in astronomy /astrophysics
and also interested in engineering .Please can anyone give a detailed explanation of type of physics covered in both.I cannot think a day without physics and that's why I want to major in physics rated degree.Should I choose physics major as my undergrad major and then decide which sub field I wanted to study.
Any help appreciated (I planning go till Phd)

Physics news on Phys.org
ujjwal3097 said:
I am interested in astronomy /astrophysics
and also interested in engineering .Please can anyone give a detailed explanation of type of physics covered in both.

In the US, every college or university lists on their web sites, the course requirements for their degrees. Is this not true in your country?

I was in the same predicament. My university offered a double major in electrical engineering and physics. In undergrad, the EE learns basic mechanics and electromagnetics. Mechanical subs emag for statics and dynamics and thermo. The physics goes through thermo, special relativity, intermediate mechanics, and basic quantum theory. Astronomy, of course, will have some of its own courses. Both EE and physics take the same math. The curriculums for engineering and physics are mostly the same for the first 2 or 3 semesters, so that will give you a chance to sample both before deciding.

If you plan on doing a PhD no matter what, then the engineering becomes very theoretical and more closely linked to what a physicist does (depending on what engineering you do). Like in EE, many professors work closely with physics department on a variety of different subjects.

It's also not uncommon for a physicist with a PhD to go into industry as an engineer. It's easier to transition from physics to engineering than vice versa in my opinion. (This might be more difficult if you specialized in astronomy, not sure).

At the end of the day, I asked myself "in 30 years, what would I regret more: not pursuing physics at the graduate level, or not pursuing engineering at the graduate level?" And that made the choice easy. If I didn't pursue physics, I would end up kicking myself.

Likes ujjwal3097

1. What is the difference between a Physics(astronomy) major and an engineer major?

A Physics(astronomy) major focuses on the fundamental principles and laws of the universe, while an engineer major focuses on applying these principles to design and create practical solutions for real-world problems.

2. Which major is more math-intensive?

Both majors require a strong foundation in mathematics, but a Physics(astronomy) major typically involves more advanced mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra.

3. Can a Physics(astronomy) major become an engineer?

Although it is possible for a Physics(astronomy) major to pursue a career in engineering, they may need additional coursework or experience to gain the necessary skills and knowledge for the field.

4. Which major has better career prospects?

Both majors have strong career prospects, but the demand for engineers may be higher in certain industries, such as technology and construction, while Physics(astronomy) majors may have more opportunities in research and academia.

5. Is it possible to double major in Physics(astronomy) and engineering?

Yes, it is possible to double major in both fields, but it may require careful planning and a heavy course load. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure that all requirements can be met within a reasonable timeframe.