Physics BSc to Nuclear Engineering for Grad School

In summary, the person is wondering if it is possible to take all of the related classes for their upper-division electives, such as Nuclear Physics and Particle Physics, while also being able to work part-time in grad school for income. Another person confirms that it is possible, but recommends taking undergraduate courses to gain more background knowledge. They also mention that transitioning from Physics to Nuclear Engineering is a common path.
ppfn
How difficult would this be? I'm planning on taking all of the related classes for my upper-division electives (Nuclear Physics, Particle Physics, etc) but I want to make sure that this is possible before I completely commit to it.

Also, for those who are in / done with grad school: is it possible to do that subject for grad school part time? My family really needs income as soon as possible, even if it means taking longer to get my masters. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I took the same route except I did my MS in Physics as well. It's certainly possible. The main difficulty for me was not having the background in the sense that I didn't know industry standards, terminology, etc. I'd recommend taking or sitting in on some of the pertinent undergraduate courses if the university will allow this. Your advisor should be able to give you advice as, as far as I can tell, Physics -> Nuc. Eng. is rather common.

Thanks for the news. Much appreciated!

Related to Physics BSc to Nuclear Engineering for Grad School

What is the difference between a Physics BSc and a Nuclear Engineering degree?

A Physics BSc degree typically covers a broad range of topics in physics including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. On the other hand, a Nuclear Engineering degree focuses specifically on the applications of physics in nuclear power and technology, with coursework in nuclear reactor design, nuclear fuel cycles, and radiation protection.

What are the benefits of pursuing a Nuclear Engineering degree after a Physics BSc?

Having a strong foundation in physics is crucial for understanding the principles and concepts behind nuclear engineering. A Physics BSc provides the necessary background knowledge and skills needed to excel in a Nuclear Engineering graduate program. Additionally, graduates with a Physics BSc may have a competitive edge in the job market due to their diverse and comprehensive background in physics.

What skills are important for success in a Nuclear Engineering graduate program?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as a solid understanding of fundamental physics principles, are essential for success in a Nuclear Engineering graduate program. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are important for tackling complex nuclear engineering problems and effectively presenting research findings.

Are there any specific prerequisites for entering a Nuclear Engineering graduate program?

While requirements may vary among different universities, most Nuclear Engineering graduate programs typically require coursework in calculus, differential equations, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. Some programs may also require coursework in nuclear physics and nuclear chemistry.

What career opportunities are available for those with a Nuclear Engineering graduate degree?

Graduates with a Nuclear Engineering graduate degree can pursue careers in various industries, including nuclear power, nuclear medicine, national defense, and nuclear waste management. They may also work in research and development, consulting, or government agencies. Additionally, many nuclear engineering graduates go on to pursue advanced degrees or research positions in academia.