Physics Diff'eq Word Problem, Help Setting Up

In summary, the postal workers on planet Gortak plan to drill a straight tube through the planet, starting at Post Office 1 and ending at Post Office 2. They will release small packages containing mail into the tube from P.O. 1 and have others grab them at P.O. 2. To calculate the position and speed of the package after 1883 seconds, a second-order differential equation will need to be set up, taking into account the force of gravity and the changing mass of Gortak as the package moves through the planet. The solution will be a cosine wave, accounting for the oscillating motion of the package from one end of the planet to the other.
inferno298

Homework Statement

Question in full detail:

Postal workers on planet Gortak want to drill a straight
tube through the planet, starting at Post Office 1, passing
through the center of the planet, and ending on the other side
at Post Office 2. They plan to release small packages contain-
ing mail into the tube from P.O. 1 and have others grab them
at P.O. 2. Gortak has g = 9.6 m/s^2, and a radius of 6400 km.
When it is located within the shell of a planet, the weight of a
particle of mass m is m*g*r/R, where r is its distance from the
center of the planet. Assume that there is no air resistance.
Compute a) the position r of the package 1883 s after it has
been released, and cool.gif its speed at that time. Note: r is posi-
tive if the package is on the same side of planet as P.O. 1, and
negative if it is on the same side as P.O. 2.

Attempts:

I don't want anyone to really solve it, but what I want is just help setting up the differential equation or at least a push in the right direction.

I believe its going to be a second order diff'Eq, and related to using F=ma.
so ma=mg since there is no air resistance.
m dV/dt-mg=0, no external forces other than gravity so it should be a homogenous equation. I get stuck here because I feel I am missing something in the equation, and not sure how to take into account the object going back and forth.

Oh wait maybe its a Simple harmonic oscillator problem?
Any help would be nice, its due in about 6 days. Again no solutions to the Diff'eQ please. I want help in setting up the equation or helpful advice in the right direction. My professor said to use Mathematica for part of it so I don't know if that means the solutions are only going to be obtained numerically or graphically.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you need to consider is that as the mail falls toward the center then the effective mass pulling it down decreases until it passes thru the center of the planet then as it climbs out toward the other post office the effective mass increases in other words its a function of the distance from the core center.

F = GM(r)m/r^2

with M being the mass of Gortak

M(r) = density * 4/3 * pi * r^3

Is "the weight of a particle of mass m is m*g*r/R, where r is its distance from the center of the planet" actually in the problem? That is not true- the weight is proportional to the mass of the planet between it and the center of the earth. And that is proportional to the volume and so to (r/R)3, not r/R.

HallsofIvy said:
Is "the weight of a particle of mass m is m*g*r/R, where r is its distance from the center of the planet" actually in the problem? That is not true- the weight is proportional to the mass of the planet between it and the center of the earth. And that is proportional to the volume and so to (r/R)3, not r/R.
The mass is proportional to r^3, but the distance of r^2 to the center is the distance to this mass. Combined, the force (~m/r^2) is proportional to r, assuming a constant density of Gortak.

A force which is proportional to the distance from some point is a very common problem, and has nice solutions...

HallsofIvy said:

Yeah, that's how it is stated in the problem.

jedishrfu said:
One thing you need to consider is that as the mail falls toward the center then the effective mass pulling it down decreases until it passes thru the center of the planet then as it climbs out toward the other post office the effective mass increases in other words its a function of the distance from the core center.

F = GM(r)m/r^2

with M being the mass of Gortak

M(r) = density * 4/3 * pi * r^3

So I'm thinking I will have to do two DEs? as the mail gets closer to the center, the mass will be changing? So dM/dr= density * 4/3 * pi * r^3 ------>dM= density * 4/3 * pi * r^3*dr.

Then plug in above, use m*dv/dt for force and solve it again.

actually nvm, F= mgr/R. Says right in problem. So I can do the DE of that with dv/dt=m*g*r/R, then do another DE with the previous answer to get its position.

I guess what I'm not understanding is how to account for the oscillating motion of the mail from one end of the planet to the other.

I guess what I'm not understanding is how to account for the oscillating motion of the mail from one end of the planet to the other.
The solution r(t) will include that oscillation. You just have to plug in the given time to get the position.

Okay thank you! I got it now. It came to a cosine wave.

1. What is a physics differential equation?

A physics differential equation is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between a physical quantity and its rate of change with respect to another physical quantity. It is commonly used to model the behavior of physical systems in various fields of science, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

2. Why are differential equations important in physics?

Differential equations are important in physics because they allow us to express complex physical phenomena using concise mathematical notation. This makes it easier to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems, as well as to develop new theories and models in physics.

3. How do I set up a physics differential equation word problem?

To set up a physics differential equation word problem, you will first need to identify the physical quantities involved and their relationship to each other. Then, you will need to express this relationship using a mathematical equation, typically involving derivatives. Finally, you can apply any given initial or boundary conditions to solve the problem.

4. What are some common techniques for solving physics differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving physics differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and the use of special functions such as the Laplace transform. Depending on the complexity of the problem, numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods may also be used.

5. Can differential equations be used to model real-world situations?

Yes, differential equations can be used to model real-world situations in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. By accurately describing the relationships between physical quantities, they can help us understand and predict the behavior of complex systems in the real world.