Solve Physics Duck Problem: Find Min V0 & Angle for Bullet Targeting Duck

• Thread starter masohman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: V0min, but it will be more complicated and error prone.In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum initial velocity and angle needed for a bullet to hit a duck flying horizontally at a given height. The equations for the duck's and bullet's horizontal and vertical positions are provided, along with the requirement that the bullet's vertical velocity is greater than 0. The conversation also mentions the use of the Pythagorean Theorem and conservation of energy to solve the problem. The final result for the minimum speed needed is given as sqrt(v2 + 0.5gh), although the book states it as sqrt(v2 + 2gh).
masohman
1. A duck flies horizontally with velocity v at a height h. When a duckhunter is right below it, he shoots with his shotgun. What is the minimum initial velocity V0 of the bullet and the angle a at which he shoots so that the bullet hits the duck?
Obviously, given are v, h and gravity acceleration g.

2.I think I just need to take that
Xduck = vt,
Xbullet = V0xt,
Ybullet = V0yt - 1/2 gt2,
Vy = V0y - gt for the bullet.

3.I just took
Xduck = Xbullet,
Yduck = Ybullet,
and Vy > 0 for the bullet
but I still get a result different than the one in my book.

Physics news on Phys.org
All the things you have written are correct, assuming you are using h as the Y value for duck and bullet. Unless you use the Pythagorean Theorem for v0x and v0y then you're stuck with 2 equations and 3 unknowns (the 3rd unknown being the angle a).

Yeah, I took Yduck = h.

My final result is that V0min = sqrt(v2 + 2gh) but the book says the answer is V0min = sqrt(v2 + 0.5gh)

Well, I don't know why your answer is different by that factor, but I do know that this is more easily solved using conservation of energy. Since it asks for the minimum speed, you can assume the bullet's vertical velocity is zero when it hits the duck, so it need only have enough kinetic energy to be moving at the same speed as the duck:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv02 = mgh + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv2

and the correct answer for the speed comes pretty easily from that.

You can do the same thing with kinematics, I suppose, and make Vfy = 0

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and equations that are relevant to the situation. In this case, the variables are the initial velocity of the bullet (V0), the angle at which it is shot (a), the velocity of the duck (v), the height of the duck (h), and the acceleration due to gravity (g). The equations that can be used to solve this problem are the kinematic equations for projectile motion.

Using these equations, we can set up a system of equations to solve for V0 and a. First, we can set the horizontal distance traveled by the duck (Xduck) equal to the horizontal distance traveled by the bullet (Xbullet). This gives us the equation:

Xduck = vt = Xbullet = V0cos(a)t

Next, we can set the vertical distance traveled by the duck (Yduck) equal to the vertical distance traveled by the bullet (Ybullet). This gives us the equation:

Yduck = h + vt - 1/2gt^2 = Ybullet = V0sin(a)t - 1/2gt^2

Finally, we can set the vertical velocity of the bullet (Vy) equal to the vertical velocity of the duck (v). This gives us the equation:

Vy = v = V0sin(a) - gt

We now have a system of three equations with three unknowns (V0, a, and t). We can solve this system of equations using algebra or numerical methods to find the minimum initial velocity (V0) and angle (a) needed to hit the duck.

It is important to note that there may be multiple solutions to this problem, as there are many possible combinations of V0 and a that can result in the bullet hitting the duck. The solution in the book may be just one of these possible solutions.

In conclusion, solving this physics duck problem requires setting up and solving a system of equations using the relevant variables and equations. As a scientist, it is important to carefully define and analyze the problem before attempting to solve it.

1. What is the "Physics Duck Problem" and why is it important?

The "Physics Duck Problem" is a hypothetical scenario in which a bullet must be fired at a moving duck in order to hit it. It is important because it requires a deep understanding of physics principles, such as projectile motion and velocity, to solve the problem and successfully hit the target.

2. How do you find the minimum velocity (V0) and angle required to hit the duck?

To find the minimum velocity (V0) and angle required to hit the duck, you must use the equations of projectile motion and set them equal to the known values of the problem, such as the initial position and velocity of the duck, and the distance and height of the duck from the bullet's starting point. By solving these equations simultaneously, you can determine the minimum velocity and angle needed to hit the target.

3. What factors affect the minimum velocity and angle needed to hit the duck?

The minimum velocity and angle needed to hit the duck are affected by several factors, including the initial position and velocity of the duck, the distance and height of the duck from the bullet's starting point, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, air resistance and wind speed can also play a role in determining the minimum velocity and angle.

4. How does the mass of the bullet impact the solution to the Physics Duck Problem?

The mass of the bullet does not have a significant impact on the solution to the Physics Duck Problem. This is because the mass of the bullet cancels out in the equations of projectile motion, meaning that the solution will be the same regardless of the mass of the bullet used.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Physics Duck Problem?

While the Physics Duck Problem is a hypothetical scenario, it has real-world applications in fields such as ballistics and robotics. In ballistics, understanding projectile motion is crucial for accurately hitting a moving target, while in robotics, this problem can help in designing systems that can accurately track and hit moving objects.