Physics EE on Terminal Velocity

In summary, a student is conducting a physics experiment on terminal velocity and is seeking help with measuring the time it takes for a spherical object to pass a specific vertical distance. They provide their email and mention the possibility of using a laser to conduct the experiment.
tnorkhangpa
Hi Guys,
I am doing a physics ee on the terminal velocity. So I am going to drop a spherical object into a graduating cylinder which has a really wide diameter and is relatively tall. Now the problem is that I have to measure the time taken between a fixed vertical distance. I have to measure the time when the ball (which I drop) passes the lower limit.
Can you help me please?
you can email me at tse1417@yahoo.com
Please help
Thanks a lot,
Tsering

Physics news on Phys.org
lasers! if your school has it or is willing to fund you :P
Ok it's probably not called that but it sounds cooler, something that emitts a ray which is broken your school should have it

Hi Tsering,

Your experiment sounds really interesting! Measuring terminal velocity can be a challenging but rewarding project. To measure the time taken for the ball to pass a fixed vertical distance, you can use a stopwatch or a timer. Make sure to start the timer as soon as the ball crosses the lower limit and stop it when it reaches the fixed vertical distance. Repeat this process multiple times and take an average of the time measurements to get a more accurate result.

Additionally, you can also use a video camera to record the ball's motion and then analyze the footage to determine the time taken. This method may provide more precise results.

In your EE, make sure to also discuss the factors that affect terminal velocity, such as the shape and size of the object, air resistance, and gravitational force. You can also explore the concept of drag and how it affects the object's motion.

If you have any further questions or need more guidance, feel free to reach out to me at my email address. Good luck with your project!

Related to Physics EE on Terminal Velocity

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of air resistance equals the force of gravity pulling the object down.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating terminal velocity is Vt = √(2mg/ρAC), where Vt is terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass and shape of the object, the density of the fluid, and the presence of any external forces, such as wind. A larger and more streamlined object will have a greater terminal velocity than a smaller or more irregularly shaped object.

4. How does air resistance affect terminal velocity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid. As an object falls, the force of air resistance increases until it equals the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity known as terminal velocity. This means that air resistance has a significant impact on the speed at which an object falls.

5. What are some real-world applications of terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity has many real-world applications, including skydiving, parachute jumping, and the design of parachutes and other air resistance devices. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in fluids, such as raindrops falling from clouds or sediment settling in water. Additionally, understanding terminal velocity is crucial in industries such as aerospace and engineering, where it is necessary to predict and control the behavior of objects in motion.