Physics Forums Logo distorted?

In summary, the Physics Forums logo is distorted. There are some kerning errors, and some people find the font quirky.
rekshaw
"Physics Forums" Logo...distorted?

Now I love it, its simple, direct and goes nice with the style of the forum. But there is one thing bugging me about it:

doesn't anyone else think the Phy is slightly detached from the sics? If you look at the distance between the h and y and the space between the s and the y, you will see that the space between the first is less than the space in the latter.

Or is it just me?

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you tried comparing the horizontal distance between the right-most part of the 'y' and the left-most part of the 's'?

(That said, it would probably look more natural if the boxes for 'y' and 's' overlapped a little)

I think it's just a quirk of the font. Other fonts have their quirk too: look at how much the i stands out in Courier New, even more so than the 'y' and 's' gap:

Physics Forum

Last edited:

rekshaw said:
Or is it just me?

No, you're right. However, I never happened to notice and now it's going to bug me.

Quirky type set is somehow endearing.

zoobyshoe said:
No, you're right. However, I never happened to notice and now it's going to bug me.

My thought exactly :grumpy:!

taken care off

j81r0y.png

I never noticed that
but I don't like those gray lines at the top and bottom:http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5570/28634751.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wrong kerning table.

Have you guys got nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon than pick up little typesetting 'errors'?

My life is ruined.

cristo said:
Have you guys got nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon than pick up little typesetting 'errors'?
Nope.

Well, I'm playing Go Beryllium! too.

I thought it was just me that saw it, guess not! Good, I'm not crazy! Another thing that really bugs me, is when you let the page set idle too long, the gray area with the wording, creates funky extra lines and shades. Or is that one just me??

You children sure are hard to please, but I think I know what will make you all happy

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6306/94503490.jpg

Almost there, jb. Needs a touch of Britney in the logo to sexify it.

bs2.jpg

http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm"

dammit, now all I can see is phy sics forums. some of you need to learn to keep your mouths shut.

tribdog said:
dammit, now all I can see is phy sics forums. some of you need to learn to keep your mouths shut.

meh, me too. I was expecting this post to be some sort of browser related issue. It isn't and gah, that's going to annoy me, maybe.

Math Is Hard said:
Almost there, jb. Needs a touch of Britney in the logo to sexify it.

bs2.jpg

http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm"

After sex convo:
Britney: so watcha thinkin bout
Me: \rho(E) = \frac{1}{2 \pi^2} \left( \frac{2 m_r }{ h^2 } \right)^{3/2} (E)^{1/2}
Britney: omg me too we so think alike

Haha

sorry guys!

Its kind of like the FedEx logo, once you see the white arrow between the E and the x you will only look at that when you see it again!

lisab said:
My thought exactly :grumpy:!

I 3rd that, haha.

rekshaw said:
Its kind of like the FedEx logo, once you see the white arrow between the E and the x you will only look at that when you see it again!

Argh, my eyes!

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/4487/fedex.jpg

took me some time to spot that arrow :/

Oh, it's a curse!

1. What causes the distortion in the Physics Forums logo?

The distortion in the Physics Forums logo is caused by an optical illusion known as the Moiré effect. This occurs when two overlapping patterns, such as the black and white lines in the logo, create a third, distorted pattern.

2. Can the distortion be fixed?

The distortion in the logo is a natural occurrence and cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be minimized by adjusting the size, position, and angle of the logo.

3. Is the distortion a deliberate design choice?

Yes, the distortion in the Physics Forums logo is a deliberate design choice. It is meant to represent the merging and interaction of different ideas and perspectives within the field of physics.

4. Does the distortion affect the functionality of the logo?

No, the distortion does not affect the functionality of the logo. It is purely a visual effect and does not impact the readability or recognition of the logo.

5. Are there any benefits to having a distorted logo?

The distorted logo can be seen as a unique and eye-catching design element that sets Physics Forums apart from other scientific forums. It also reflects the dynamic and constantly evolving nature of physics as a field of study.