What is the angle north of east in this kinematics problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a kinematic problem in physics where a person walks 6 km in a straight line in a direction north of east and ends up 2 km east and several kilometers north. The question asks how many degrees north of east the person has walked and provides four choices for the answer. The correct answer is 71 degrees, which can be found using trigonometry and drawing a diagram. The conversation includes a diagram and multiple explanations to help understand the problem.
firstwave
Physics Kinematic Problem -- need help

Well here I am studying for the final and this question pops up and I have no idea how to do it. I know the answer however, but it does not really help me.

If you walk 6.0 km in a straight line in a direction north of east and you end up 2.0 km east and several kilometers north. How many degrees north of east have you walked?

Choices:

a) 19 degrees
b) 45 degrees
c) 60 degrees
d) 71 degrees

Answer: d

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
The trig to this is to try drawing the walk on a piece of paper.

Did you draw a diagram? I drew a triangle with a vertex at the origin and the hypotenuse going north and east (up and to the right) for 6 units. The opposite side would be 2 units...Can you finish from there?

would it be possible to draw it in the forum?? I still don't get it. I knew how to do this a while ago and it was pretty easy. I did draw a diagram but it didn't really help for some reason. Maybe I read the question wrong, but either way I still don't understand. :cry:

AH HA! Thanks Fred. When you said 'opposite' I thought it meant opposite side of the plane. Ah it means the opposite side. Ok thanks I get it.

Cos -1 (2/6) = 71

:D

Thanks again

Last edited:
This is simple. First you walk 6km north of east, you end up 2km east and some km's north . Draw a triangle representing the above values where base=2 and hypotenuse=6

therefore,

[itex]cosQ= \frac{1}{3}[/itex]

1. What is a kinematic problem in physics?

A kinematic problem in physics is a type of problem that involves the motion and position of objects. It typically requires solving for unknown variables such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration using equations and principles from kinematics.

2. What are the three main equations used to solve kinematic problems?

The three main equations used to solve kinematic problems are:

• Displacement: Δx = v0t + 1/2at2
  • Velocity: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration: v2 = v02 + 2aΔx

3. How do you determine the direction of an object's motion in a kinematic problem?

The direction of an object's motion can be determined by examining the signs of the variables in the kinematic equations. If the variables are positive, the object is moving in the positive direction, and if they are negative, the object is moving in the negative direction.

4. Can kinematic equations be used for both linear and projectile motion?

Yes, kinematic equations can be used for both linear and projectile motion as long as the motion is constant and in a straight line. If the motion is not constant or in a straight line, other equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion may need to be used.

5. How can kinematic problems be applied in real-world situations?

Kinematic problems can be applied in real-world situations to calculate and predict the motion and position of objects. This can be useful in fields such as engineering, sports, and transportation. For example, kinematic equations can be used to calculate the trajectory of a baseball or the stopping distance of a car.