What is the maximum speed you could have and still avoid hitting the deer?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a car is driving at 18m/s on a highway and a deer suddenly appears 45m in front of it. The car has a reaction time of 0.50s and a maximum deceleration of 12m/s^2. The first question asks for the distance between the car and the deer when the car comes to a stop, which is calculated to be 22.5m. The second question asks for the maximum speed the car could have and still not hit the deer, which is found to be 33m/s.
xfaceless

Homework Statement

You're driving down the highway late one night at 18m/s when a deer steps onto the road 45m in front of you. Your reaction time before stepping on the brakes is 0.50s and the maximum deceleration of your car is 12m/s^2.

a)How much distance is between you and the deer when you come to a stop?
b)What is the maximum speed you could have and still not hit the deer?

Homework Equations

vf^2=vi^2+2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out part a) by calculating the actual distance the deer is infront of your car (by using reaction time given), and then solved for the distance you travel after you hit the brakes using the kinematics equation.
so, the distance between you & the deer when your car comes to a stop is 22.5m.

For part b), .. I don't really understand part b). I tried solving for vi by putting vf at 0, a=-12, and d=36 but that didn't lead to the right answer. I got vi=29.4m/s which is wrong.

Any help please ? ):

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the same reaction time, you can use the same equation you used in part a), but this time making the initial speed of the car an unknown. You will want the total distance traveled to be less than the 45m, so as to not hit the deer.

I think in your attempt, you assumed he was going at 18m/s in the distance covered during reaction time.

For part b) I did this..
vf^2=vi^2+2ad
0=vi^2+2(-12)(45)
vi=33m/s.
But that's incorrect..
I still dont' get it. :T

Now you're giving the car 45m of braking distance - in other words 0 reaction time. If you've got 45m total, and you travel at vi for 0.5s before decelerating, how much distance have you got for braking?

A quick sketch of velocity versus time, and distance versus time can really help to visualise this.

Nevermind. I got it.

Thanks everyone.

1. What is kinematics in physics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without taking into account the factors that affect their movement.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity refers to the speed of an object in a particular direction. This means that an object can have the same speed but different velocities if it is moving in different directions.

3. What is the equation for calculating acceleration?

The equation for acceleration is a = Δv/Δt, where a represents acceleration, Δv represents the change in velocity, and Δt represents the change in time. This equation is commonly written as a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the straight-line distance and direction between an object's starting and ending positions. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that refers to the total path length traveled by an object, without considering its direction.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time taken to travel that distance. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, refers to the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position with respect to time.