Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Physics Lab Help

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1

F.B

I need help with a question on my lab, im used to finding proportionality statements between sets of data and graphing it to get a straight line. But this question is different. Anyways heres the data i have. Oh ya the lab is on Centripetal Force

frequency/Force
    1.02 / 5
    1.33 / 10
    1.65 / 15
    1.87 / 20

The slashes just separate the numbers so they dont bunch up.

Here the question i need help on.

Rearrange the data for the frequency in such a manner as you think will result in a straight line when plotted. Plot this data on graph paper#2. What is the equation for this relationship by calculating the constant of proportionality.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2
    I just did a lab like this a few days ago, although I am sure I did a terrible job :tongue2:

I did not do frequecy, I did period vs. force, but frequency is 1/T, so it should not be terribly different. You must first manipulate your centripetal force formula in such a wat that you have insolated your term(s) for frequency, then you will be able to work out a mathematical relationship, which for me was T is inversely proportional to the root of ceptripetal force. Rather than plotting my graph T vs. Force, I plotted it as T vs. 1/sqrt(force), which straightens your graph.

4. Oct 10, 2005 #3

F.B

another quick question. If in one of the questions it says the frequency is 10 s^-1 what does that mean? does it mean??

5. Oct 10, 2005 #4
    10 cycles per second, or 10 hertz. Raising a unit to the negative one is a fancy way of putting it in the denominator.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook