Physics Lab Help

• Thread starter F.B
  • Start date
F.B
I need help with a question on my lab, im used to finding proportionality statements between sets of data and graphing it to get a straight line. But this question is different. Anyways heres the data i have. Oh ya the lab is on Centripetal Force

frequency/Force
1.02 / 5
1.33 / 10
1.65 / 15
1.87 / 20

The slashes just separate the numbers so they dont bunch up.

Here the question i need help on.

Rearrange the data for the frequency in such a manner as you think will result in a straight line when plotted. Plot this data on graph paper#2. What is the equation for this relationship by calculating the constant of proportionality.

Answers and Replies

I just did a lab like this a few days ago, although I am sure I did a terrible job :tongue2:

I did not do frequecy, I did period vs. force, but frequency is 1/T, so it should not be terribly different. You must first manipulate your centripetal force formula in such a wat that you have insolated your term(s) for frequency, then you will be able to work out a mathematical relationship, which for me was T is inversely proportional to the root of ceptripetal force. Rather than plotting my graph T vs. Force, I plotted it as T vs. 1/sqrt(force), which straightens your graph.

F.B
another quick question. If in one of the questions it says the frequency is 10 s^-1 what does that mean? does it mean??

10 cycles per second, or 10 hertz. Raising a unit to the negative one is a fancy way of putting it in the denominator.