1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Lab Help

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1

F.B

I need help with a question on my lab, im used to finding proportionality statements between sets of data and graphing it to get a straight line. But this question is different. Anyways heres the data i have. Oh ya the lab is on Centripetal Force

frequency/Force
    1.02 / 5
    1.33 / 10
    1.65 / 15
    1.87 / 20

The slashes just separate the numbers so they dont bunch up.

Here the question i need help on.

Rearrange the data for the frequency in such a manner as you think will result in a straight line when plotted. Plot this data on graph paper#2. What is the equation for this relationship by calculating the constant of proportionality.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2
    I just did a lab like this a few days ago, although I am sure I did a terrible job :tongue2:

I did not do frequecy, I did period vs. force, but frequency is 1/T, so it should not be terribly different. You must first manipulate your centripetal force formula in such a wat that you have insolated your term(s) for frequency, then you will be able to work out a mathematical relationship, which for me was T is inversely proportional to the root of ceptripetal force. Rather than plotting my graph T vs. Force, I plotted it as T vs. 1/sqrt(force), which straightens your graph.

4. Oct 10, 2005 #3

F.B

another quick question. If in one of the questions it says the frequency is 10 s^-1 what does that mean? does it mean??

5. Oct 10, 2005 #4
    10 cycles per second, or 10 hertz. Raising a unit to the negative one is a fancy way of putting it in the denominator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?