Physics major unable to get engineering internship

In summary, the individual is a 4th year student in college majoring in physics and applied math, with only 1 engineering class currently being taken. They are looking for an aerospace/mechanical engineering internship for the summer, having applied to over 100 positions with no responses. The reasons for this could be due to not being an engineering major, the current state of the economy, not submitting cover letters, or not following up on applications. The individual is considering giving up on applying for internships, but has heard of physics majors getting hired without taking engineering classes. They are also unsure if they will like mechanical or aerospace engineering based on their experience with fluid mechanics in a physics class. Another individual with a similar background has had success in
cypherscouter
i'm in my 4th year in college, double majroing in physics and applied math and I've only taken 1 engineering class (i'm taking it currently). since I'm staying for a 5th year, I'm looking for an aerospace/mechanical engineering internship this summer. I've applied to over 100 different positions for companies and haven't gotten ANY replies for an interview

there could be multiple reasons:
1. I'm not an engineering major and have taken no engineering classes.
2, the economy is really that bad right now
3. i haven't submitted my cover letter for most of my applications
4. i haven't followed up on most of my applications

all the companies say to online, but they never say to whom or where to address my cover letter to

i'm thinking about just giving up on applying for internships. my engineering professor said the problem is that no companies want me since i haven't taken any engineering classes, except the one I'm currently taking. but I've heard of some physics majors getting hired without taking any engineering classes

also, will i even like mechE/aerospace if i didnt like fluid mechanics in my freshman calc-based physics class?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little surprised that you wouldn't get any replies at all. I am a first year masters student in aerospace engineering with a B.S. in physics, and I've been invited to two interviews with local aerospace firms in the last few months. I was also contacted by a major defense contractor the other day about a possible summer internship in 2010. It's a long shot, but I'm encouraged that they're at least interested in my resume.

Lots of companies use electronic searches to sort through the resumes they receive. My guess is that your resume just didn't have much that caught their eye. Keep trying.

Brian_C said:
Lots of companies use electronic searches to sort through the resumes they receive. My guess is that your resume just didn't have much that caught their eye. Keep trying.
Most aero/mech are using computer systems for HR which searches for keywords.
I dare brian_c to resubmit ommiting aerospace masters in resume or just leaving masters degree. To OP if you are particular desperate you could put keywords into your resume even a set of them in the end just to have hits on your resume.

what exactly can i put?

the only engineering class I'm taking is Feedback and Control Systems

i might take fluid mechanics and heat transfer next semester though

are you sure its not reasons (3) or (4) in my 1st post?

You'll just have to keep applying to them...I'm assuming you applied to most, if not all, of the defense contractors? There are like a billion jobs a piece, so you'll just have to keep applying until you get lucky.

if i applied to over a HUNDRED positions, how is keep applying going to solve anything? there must be something wrong with my resume, or I'm not submitting the cover letter that's the problem?

cypherscouter said:
if i applied to over a HUNDRED positions, how is keep applying going to solve anything? there must be something wrong with my resume, or I'm not submitting the cover letter that's the problem?

If you keep applying, you increase your visibility...

I've applied to HUNDREDS of positions and finally managed to get one. You should write a cover letter if that's an option, but I wouldn't say it helps tremendously. You just have to realize that there's a huge number of applicants in your shoes trying to get a job as well.

I assume you've already talked to career services at your school and had them look over your resume?

You've applied to over 100 positions? At first I thought that was a typo, but later posts confirm it. And yet, you haven't bothered with a cover letter?

I think all of your points for not having heard back are valid. But to me it sounds like you're not really putting any effort into targeting anything specific. Did you research every one of those 100 positions? I think for an employer to take notice, especially for a competative position, you have to demonstrate that you aren't just handing in a form resume. Why should they hand you back anything, but a form letter?

My advice would be to spend time researching specific positions, find out who's in charge of hiring and contact them directly. Networking is what lands most positions, not mass emailing of a standard resume.

Also, it helps to use proper capitalization and grammer is just about everything you write. I'm not trying to be rude or pretentious in saying that. Potential employers actually look up people on the web these days.

Choppy said:
My advice would be to spend time researching specific positions, find out who's in charge of hiring and contact them directly. Networking is what lands most positions, not mass emailing of a standard resume.
Thats not true at all places like northrop grumman, boeing, and lockheed receive an absurd amount of resumes do you honestly believe they read every single one of them. There is a reason the resume you submit for those companies is not only submitted in pdf/doc form but has to be submitted as a text. It is so that the people in HR can just type in keywords like senior blah blah blah and get hits from people who have had a similar position or could type in c++ Matlab Masters to find candidates. He should have someone with experience with jobs in aerospace look over it so that he knows to add keywords like SIMULINK if applicable or possible even if not. I agree he could also network which would probably would be his best bet because for most aerospace contractors the nepotism doesn't end at obtaining a defense contract.
Choppy said:
Also, it helps to use proper capitalization and grammer is just about everything you write. I'm not trying to be rude or pretentious in saying that. Potential employers actually look up people on the web these days.

I don't know who he is from his cypherscouter username do you or do you think an employer could figure it out with certainty?

j93 said:
I don't know who he is from his cypherscouter username do you or do you think an employer could figure it out with certainty?

I don't think that's the risk. I think one risk is that there is a blog or something else tied to him where the English is...um...unconventional. The other risk is that practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. The more often one writes with incorrect spelling, grammer, diction, capitalization and/or punctuation, the more likely one is to do this on a document where one shouldn't.

I talked with the chair of the engineering dept and she said that i'll be unlikely to get an internship at this point since most companies get interns in the fall and its already close to spring, so its too late

not to mention, I'm not an engineering major and have only taken 1 engineering class and have completed no engineering projects, and also the bad economy

I don't believe it's necessarily too late as actually most engineering internship recruiting starts in the spring. It might be on the late side for applying but it's worth a shot.

cypherscouter said:
I talked with the chair of the engineering dept and she said that i'll be unlikely to get an internship at this point since most companies get interns in the fall and its already close to spring, so its too late

not to mention, I'm not an engineering major and have only taken 1 engineering class and have completed no engineering projects, and also the bad economy

I'm from a town where a very large, well known heavy machinery manufacturer pretty much runs the show. We also have a small private university (where I attend) that has a good engineering program. No surprise, then, that many of our engineering students intern for either this corporation, or one of the many companies that supply them, be it in outsourced engineering, manufacturing, etc. Just about everyone I know in this town has lost their internship in the past two months, myself included.

Just saying, the economy is certainly making things difficult.

j93 said:
Most aero/mech are using computer systems for HR which searches for keywords.
I dare brian_c to resubmit ommiting aerospace masters in resume or just leaving masters degree. To OP if you are particular desperate you could put keywords into your resume even a set of them in the end just to have hits on your resume.

I very much agree with this.

What is the difference between a physics major and an engineering major?

While physics and engineering are closely related fields, there are some key differences between the two. Physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of nature, while engineering applies those principles to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems. Additionally, engineering programs often have a more specialized and practical curriculum, while physics programs tend to have a more theoretical and mathematical approach.

Why might a physics major have difficulty getting an engineering internship?

There could be a variety of reasons why a physics major might have difficulty securing an engineering internship. Some companies may prefer to hire engineering majors for engineering positions, as they have a more specialized skill set. Additionally, engineering internships may require specific technical knowledge or experience that a physics major may not have. It's also possible that there simply may be fewer opportunities for physics majors in the engineering field.

What can a physics major do to increase their chances of getting an engineering internship?

One way for a physics major to increase their chances of getting an engineering internship is to gain relevant experience through internships, research projects, or extracurricular activities. This can help them develop practical skills and demonstrate their interest and aptitude in the engineering field. They can also network with professionals in the engineering industry and apply to a wide range of internships to increase their chances of finding a suitable opportunity.

Can a physics major still pursue a career in engineering even without an engineering internship?

Yes, a physics major can still pursue a career in engineering even without an engineering internship. While internships can provide valuable experience and connections, they are not the only way to gain relevant skills and knowledge. A physics major can take relevant courses, participate in research projects, and gain practical experience through other means to prepare for a career in engineering.

What other careers can a physics major pursue if they are unable to get an engineering internship?

There are many other career options available to a physics major, even if they are unable to secure an engineering internship. Some possible career paths include research and development, data analysis, teaching, technical writing, or working in industries such as finance, healthcare, or technology. A physics major can also choose to pursue graduate studies in a related field, or continue to build their skills and experience in order to transition into an engineering role later in their career.