Physics Marathon (Solve a Problem and Post Your Own)

• Thread starter Phys student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of a marathon where one person posts a problem and another person solves it, then posts another problem. The suggestion is to limit the problems to classical topics, but this is not a strict rule. However, there is concern about the potential for students to use the thread to cheat on homework problems. After a discussion among the Mentors, it is decided to keep the thread closed to avoid this issue.
Phys student
I saw this idea on another forum and I though it'd be fun if it was employed here, a marathon works as follows:

1. One person posts a problem.
2. Then another person solves it and then posts another problem.
3. Another person comes and solves the second problem and then posts another problem.

I suggest we keep the problems limited to classical topics. But, this is isn't a rule of course.

I'll start:

Problem 1:

The sign shown below (See attached photo) consists of two uniform legs attached by a frictionless hinge. The coefficient of friction between the ground and the legs is μ. What is the maximum value of θ such that the sign will not collapse?

Attachments

• Sign.png
    Sign.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
But how can we tell if it's a homework problem?

Khashishi said:
But how can we tell if it's a homework problem?

Well, we can tell if a problem requires thinking and not just routine textbook problem solving. As for my problem, it's definitely not a homework problem (it's actually from an Olympiad).

Yeah, but we may not be able to allow a thread like this, because it could be used by some students to cheat. Let me run it by the other Mentors...

After a discussion among the Mentors, we agree that a thread like this would be very difficult to Moderate, since it would be easy for students to post their homework problems disguised as Marathon questions. Sorry, this thread will stay closed.

1. What is the purpose of Physics Marathon?

The purpose of Physics Marathon is to challenge individuals to solve a variety of physics problems, as well as to encourage others to create and share their own problems for others to solve.

2. How do I participate in Physics Marathon?

To participate in Physics Marathon, you can either solve the current problem posted by another participant or create and post your own problem for others to solve. You can also engage in discussions and provide feedback on other people's solutions.

3. Is there a specific level or topic of physics for the problems?

No, there is no specific level or topic of physics for the problems in Physics Marathon. Participants are free to post problems from any level or topic of physics, as long as they are challenging and interesting for others to solve.

4. Can I collaborate with others to solve a problem?

Yes, collaboration is allowed in Physics Marathon. You can work together with other participants to solve a problem or discuss different approaches to a solution. However, it is important to give credit to all collaborators in your solution post.

5. How often are new problems posted in Physics Marathon?

New problems are posted regularly, usually once a week, by different participants. However, the frequency may vary depending on the level of participation and the availability of new problems to be posted.