Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Olympiad Books

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    I'm an 11th grader finishing Mechanics and Emag and I would like to ask you for your advice on textbooks and material I will need to cover to prepare for next years Olympiad. The book I used for Mech/Emag is by Tipler/Mosca. I have heard Halliday/Resnick is good but I don't know for which topics I could use it. I own Irodov's and have worked through most of the Kinematics and am hoping to start the next section soon.

Thank you in advanced for your time and thoughts

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2
    Young & Freedman "University Physics" extended edition should cover everything you'll need. It covers all the mechanics, electrodynamics, thermodynamics, relativity and quantum physics which will be on the internation final, to my knowledge.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    How can I acquire this book? Also... what does the extended cover that the normal version does not?

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If amazon.com doesn't work for you, it might help if you give us some idea of where in the world you are located.

6. Feb 14, 2010 #5
    Modern physics, like relativity theory, quantum physics and particle physics.

7. Feb 14, 2010 #6
  8. Feb 14, 2010 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Feb 14, 2010 #8
    Ah yes I forgot about Tipler but that does not go into nearly as much depth as it should for physicists. Tipler is more of your engineering/chemistry take on physics.

I would recommend the same as espen180, Young & Freedman University Physics with Modern Physics. Not only would it help you for the olympiad but if you wish to pursue a degree in physics then Young & Freedman will be your reference book for your first two years (freshman and sophomore).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook