Physics plane/wind speed problem

In summary, the plane is traveling at a speed of 280km/h relative to still air and after 1 hour, it has only covered 180km due to a diagonal headwind. The wind velocity can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem and inverse tangent function. The magnitude of the wind vector is 215.5 km and the direction is 45 degrees east of north.
lmf22
A plane is headed due south with a speed relative to still aire of 280km/h. After 1 hour the plane covered only 180km and their direction is not south but southeast. What is the wind velocity?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is how I am approaching the problem but I am unsure if I am right.

1) I drew a simple diagram to illustrate the problem (see attachement).
2) Side A is 280
Side B is 180
Side C is 215.5

So, I would think the wind velocity is 215 km.

That is not really right because in an hour the plane has traveled only 127 km due south ((180 km)cos 45 degrees east of south) because it is flying into a diagonal headwind. It has also traveled east ((180 km) sin 45 degrees east of south). These are the same so the east component of the wind vector is the ((180 km) sin 45 degrees east of south) while the north component is 280km-(180 km)sin 45 degrees. To get the magnitude of the wind vector you square the north component of the wind add the east component of the wind squared and take the square root. Use the positive number, magnitude is always positive.
(N^2+E^2)^.5= magnitude of the wind vector
The direction is then the inverse tangent of the (east component divided by the north component) east of north.
atan (E/N), degrees east of north

FAQ: Physics plane/wind speed problem

1. What is a physics plane/wind speed problem?

A physics plane/wind speed problem is a type of problem in which the speed and direction of a plane are affected by the speed and direction of the wind. This type of problem is commonly found in physics and engineering courses, and it involves using mathematical equations to determine the final velocity and direction of the plane.

2. How do you solve a physics plane/wind speed problem?

To solve a physics plane/wind speed problem, you will need to use the appropriate equations, such as the vector addition and subtraction equations. Start by drawing a diagram to represent the plane and wind vectors, and then use the equations to find the resultant vector, which represents the final velocity and direction of the plane.

3. What are the key factors that affect a plane's speed and direction in a physics plane/wind speed problem?

The key factors that affect a plane's speed and direction in a physics plane/wind speed problem are the speed and direction of the wind, the speed and direction of the plane, and the angle at which the plane is flying in relation to the wind direction. These factors determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

4. Can a plane's speed and direction be completely determined in a physics plane/wind speed problem?

Yes, a plane's speed and direction can be completely determined in a physics plane/wind speed problem. By using the appropriate equations and given values for the wind and plane's speed and direction, the resultant velocity and direction can be calculated. However, in real-life situations, other factors such as air resistance and turbulence may also affect the plane's speed and direction.

5. How can understanding physics plane/wind speed problems be useful in the real world?

Understanding physics plane/wind speed problems can be useful in various real-world applications, such as aviation and meteorology. Pilots and engineers use these concepts to calculate the effects of wind on a plane's flight path and adjust their routes accordingly. Meteorologists use similar principles to predict weather patterns and track the movement of storms and other weather systems.

Back