Physics Problem: Bungy Jump Calculation for Maximum Acceleration | Matt (44kg)

In summary: There is a lot of kinetic energy in the beginning, so the gravitational force is larger. But at the end there is no kinetic energy, so the gravitational force is smaller.
Tollehej

Homework Statement

Matt(44kg) was going to do a bungy jump(spring constant=105N/m) that is 30m long when it's unstreched.The rope is attached to a platform 65m above the ground.What is the maximum acceleration closes to the ground.
Sorry for my bad english, i was trying to translate my homework from swedish to english.

Homework Equations

Don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using the conservation of engery rule thing.
Ep+Ek+Es=E2p+E2k+E2s
There is no kinetical energy or spring energy in the beginning, and no potential or kinetical energy in the end => Ep=E2s => mgh=1/2*k*x^2
and we don't know the total length => mg(h+x)=1/2*k*x^2
and then i solve x and i get that x= about 20m
so the total length when the string is attached is 20+30=50m
And then i can solve the force of the spring, F=k*x F=105N/m*50m F=5250N
And then i use ƩF=m*a => G-F=m*a => (G-F)/m=a
=> (44kg*9,81m/s^2-5250N)/44kg=-109,508 m/s^2
And this can't be true!
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this in the right section? I'm new here.

During the first 30 m, the cord is slack and has no potential energy at the beginning or end.. But the jumper is in free fall, so the jumper has Kinetic Energy at 30m. Use this 30 m drop as the starting point for your energy equation

Sorry but I don't understand why it would be so.. But later when i was trying to solve it i got an answer that is 37 m/s^2, when the person accelerates upward from the ground. I can send my equations later, if u can take a look at them?

Your answer looks about right, i thought you had made an incorrect assumption when your answer was so far off, but you initial equation looks OK if h =30, and then you made a typo using x =50 when you should have used x = 20. Looks like you've corrected that.

Note that the person does not accelerate upward from the ground. The jumper never reaches it, he comes to a halt at 50 m, or at about 15 m above ground, where his upward acceleration is highest.

Yupp, the problem was when i was going to solve the Force of the spring F=k*x
and then i took the total length of the spring when it was streched but i was suppose to only the length that was streched which is kinda obvious! But thank you for your help!

use the 30m drop as your starting point, easiest option.

Related to Physics Problem: Bungy Jump Calculation for Maximum Acceleration | Matt (44kg)

What is the physics behind a bungy jump?

The physics behind a bungy jump involves the principles of potential energy, kinetic energy, and elasticity. When a person jumps off a platform, their potential energy (due to their height) is converted into kinetic energy as they fall. The bungy cord then stretches and stores this energy as elastic potential energy. As the cord recoils, this energy is released, slowing the person down and preventing them from hitting the ground.

How does the length of the bungy cord affect the jump?

The length of the bungy cord is an important factor in a bungy jump. If the cord is too long, the person may not experience enough deceleration and could hit the ground with a lot of force. If the cord is too short, the person may not have enough time to decelerate and could still hit the ground. The optimal length of the bungy cord depends on the person's weight and the height of the jump.

What is the relationship between the person's weight and the force experienced during a bungy jump?

The force experienced during a bungy jump is directly proportional to the person's weight. This means that the heavier the person, the greater the force they will experience as the bungy cord stretches and recoils. This is why bungy jumping is not recommended for people who are significantly under or overweight.

How does air resistance affect a bungy jump?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect a bungy jump by slowing down the person's fall. This means that they may not reach the maximum speed that they would without air resistance. However, as the person falls, their speed increases, and the force of air resistance also increases. This can cause the person to oscillate up and down, resulting in a longer and more thrilling jump.

What safety precautions are taken to ensure a safe bungy jump?

Before a bungy jump, the cord and other equipment are carefully inspected and tested. The bungy cord is also specifically designed and rated to handle a certain weight and force. The jump location is also carefully chosen to ensure that there are no obstacles or hazards. Additionally, trained professionals are present during the jump to assist and ensure the safety of the jumper.