1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Problem. I must find the horizontal distance x between the 2 baloons.

1. Aug 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The two hot-air baloons in the drawing are 48.2(Left) and 61.0(right) m above the ground. A person in the left baloon observes that the right baloon is 13.3 degrees above the horizontal. What is the Horizontal distance x between baloon the two baloons

Left Air Baloon= 48.2 meters
    Right Air Baloon= 61.0 meters
    The angle above the horizontal is 13.3 degrees

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of Sin, Cos, and Tan, and the inverse trigonometric functions. I'm not sure on the equation I should use.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure on where I should start.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2007 #2
    Here is what I did. I added 48.2 meters and 61.0 meters and then I divided them by 2 and I got 54.6 meters.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  4. Aug 29, 2007 #3
    Ok this problem was actually simple because all I had to do was subtract 61.0-48.2=12.8, and I found out the height of the opposite side. Then I used the definition of Tan and I divided 12.8/tan(13.3)=54.1 meters, and that's how far the distance x was.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?