Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Physics Problem. I must find the horizontal distance x between the 2 baloons.

1. Aug 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The two hot-air baloons in the drawing are 48.2(Left) and 61.0(right) m above the ground. A person in the left baloon observes that the right baloon is 13.3 degrees above the horizontal. What is the Horizontal distance x between baloon the two baloons

Left Air Baloon= 48.2 meters
    Right Air Baloon= 61.0 meters
    The angle above the horizontal is 13.3 degrees

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of Sin, Cos, and Tan, and the inverse trigonometric functions. I'm not sure on the equation I should use.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure on where I should start.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2007 #2
    Here is what I did. I added 48.2 meters and 61.0 meters and then I divided them by 2 and I got 54.6 meters.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  4. Aug 29, 2007 #3
    Ok this problem was actually simple because all I had to do was subtract 61.0-48.2=12.8, and I found out the height of the opposite side. Then I used the definition of Tan and I divided 12.8/tan(13.3)=54.1 meters, and that's how far the distance x was.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook