How Long Does It Take for a Wall to Pass a Train Window?

In summary, the question is asking for the time it takes for the upper edge of the wall to appear and then disappear from the window while traveling on a train moving at 3.0 m/s to the left. The wall is sloping at a 12 degree angle and the window has dimensions 0.90 m by 2.0 m. To find the time, you need to find the horizontal distance travelled by the train and divide it by the average speed. This can be done using trigonometry and is more than 2.0 m. The multiplication of the window dimensions is irrelevant to the problem.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

You are on a train that is traveling 3.0 m/s (to the left direction) along a level straight track. very near and parallel to the track is a wall that slopes upward at a 12 degree angle with the horizontal. As you face the windoes (.90 m high), (2.0 m wide) in your compartment, the train is moving to the left. The top edge of the wall 1st appears at window corner A and eventually disappears at window corner A and eventually disappears
at window corner B. How much time passes between appearance and disappearance of the upper edge of the wall.

Homework Equations

Time= distance/average speed

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied .90 and 2.0 and I got .18m and then I divided it by 3.0 and I got .06 s. This is way off. What do I need to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you multiply the lengths?

You need to find the horizontal distance travelled... draw a picture... how do the window and wall look right as the wall appears... and draw another picture right when the wall leaves...

What is the total horizontal distance? Hint: it is more than 2.0m. you'll need a little trig. Once you get the distance, divide by velocity to get time.

?? Even your multiplication is wrong: if the window has width 2.0 m and height 0.9 m, then it has area 1.8 m2- but that has nothing to do with the problem.

1. How do I find time to solve a physics problem?

One way to find time to solve a physics problem is to set aside a specific amount of time each day or week to work on it. It's also helpful to prioritize your tasks and make sure studying and problem solving comes before other activities.

2. What are some strategies for solving physics problems efficiently?

Some strategies for solving physics problems efficiently include breaking the problem into smaller parts, drawing diagrams, and using equations and formulas that are relevant to the problem. It's also important to stay organized and double check your work.

3. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts to solve problems more easily?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it's important to actively engage in learning and practicing. This can include reading textbooks, attending lectures, participating in discussions, and completing practice problems.

4. What resources are available to help me solve physics problems?

There are many resources available to help you solve physics problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and tutoring services. Your teacher or professor may also have additional resources or be able to provide guidance and clarification.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling to solve a physics problem even after trying different approaches?

If you are still struggling to solve a physics problem, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher, professor, or tutor. They can provide additional guidance and help you identify any misunderstandings or gaps in your knowledge that may be hindering your progress.