Physics Programming: Areas Requiring Computers

In summary, there are various areas of physics that require programming and other computer work, including astrophysics, computational materials science, and numerical computing for experimental research. Additionally, fields such as 3D game programming and graphics, as well as topics like coding matrices and eigensystems, also involve programming and computer work. While there are many online resources available for learning these skills, some areas may be more challenging, such as modelling sub-atomic particle interactions or events near the Big Bang. Ultimately, it is important for individuals to choose an area of programming that aligns with their interests and can contribute to the advancement of science and humanity.
cscott
What areas of physics demand the most programming or other work with computers?

Physics news on Phys.org
prolly any but Astrophysics is a huge what that comes to mine whether you doing stellar or galactic or nebular or planetary... and GAME PROGRAMMING-rag doll physics is awesome

There's a lot of stuff going on with computational materials science that probably could get you a high-paying industry job.

If you can program well and have a good understanding of numerical computation, you shouldn't have too much problem finding work with experimental researchers in almost any physics field. A lot of the 'professors' who work at my univ. are there just to take advantage of certain facilities. I signed up with one such professor and his work was complicated to the point where he didn't bother teaching me much of the physics and put me to work on numerical computing and simulation with annoying coupled multivariate PDE's - something I had little to no interest in doing. It's something that I have to deal with as an undergrad with limited knowledge and professors that don't feel like taking the time to allow you to take part in any actual "research." However, if that's your area of expertise, then I wouldn't worry too much about finding a job. Just make sure you have a solid understanding of numerical computing and general math methods.

Jelfish said:
Just make sure you have a solid understanding of numerical computing and general math methods.

I'm no expert, just an amateur programmer. My knowledge of numerical computing and math methods is close to zero. Do you have any nice links or is Google my friend?

Thanks for your replies.

learn 3D graphics and numerical(very easy stuff...you'll learn it when ti comes to you in your programme) but if you want to learn the basics learn some 3D game programming
(somethings like davide eberlys game programming book

how to code matrices(inverse) and from there you can lead onto eigensystems and ODEs/PDEs(eg finite mesh methods) then onto FFTs

Talk about convenient, I just started messing around with OpenGL yesterday. :smile:

=] learn to use SDL with OGL...OGL is awesome so much cleaner than D3D. OpenGL bible is good and the Opengl game programming book(black/green series-primatech i think) is also good..i prefer the latter...but online references are prolly the best...too bad the gametutorials.com requires payment now but nehe is prolly one of the best.

I have no idea what any of the terms mentioned by the others even mean. It seems to me that the most challenging programming efforts would be modelling sub-atomic particle interactions, or perhaps events as close to the Big Bang as you can get data for, or 5-6-7-whatever dimensional dynamics relative to our own reality. There are certainly less important things that might take as much computational power, such as building virtual movie stars, but someone who understands true science would be sort of prostituting him/herself by going that route. There are lots of not-too-bright computer geeks who can do that, but very few people who can do something that can serve the cause of science and therefore humanity as a whole. If you choose to go the Hollywood way, remember who your friends are and get me a pass to MGM. :biggrin:

cscott said:
What areas of physics demand the most programming or other work with computers?
Many body physics, Ab initio calculations in surface science and practically all other physics areas (i am using these calculations for my phd ; check out my journal if you want to know more at the link beneath), game programming, lattice QCD.
https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&journalid=13790&action=view
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:

What is physics programming?

Physics programming is the use of computers to simulate and analyze physical phenomena, such as motion, forces, and energy. It involves creating algorithms and code that can accurately model and predict the behavior of physical systems.

Why is physics programming important?

Physics programming plays a crucial role in scientific research, engineering, and technology development. It allows scientists and engineers to test and refine their theories, design complex systems, and solve real-world problems that would be difficult or impossible to solve without computer assistance.

What are some areas of physics that require computer programming?

There are many areas of physics that benefit from computer programming, including astrophysics, quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and materials science. Some specific applications include simulating the behavior of particles in a collider, modeling the flow of air over an airplane wing, and predicting the behavior of materials under extreme conditions.

What programming languages are commonly used in physics programming?

Some common programming languages used in physics programming include Python, C++, and Fortran. Each language has its own strengths and is commonly used for different types of tasks. For example, Python is often used for data analysis and visualization, while C++ is popular for high-performance computing and simulations.

What skills are needed for physics programming?

In addition to strong programming skills, physics programming also requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts, such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Knowledge of physics principles and theories is also essential for accurately modeling physical systems.