1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Question about an electron

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1

I need help on this physics question:

An electron is shot at 10^6 ms-1 between two parallel charged plates. if (e) = 1 KN/C where will the electron strike the upper plate? Assume vacuum conditions.

I think i need to use a motion eqauation but which one.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2
    What does "(e)" refer to? Do we know how wide apart the plates are?
  4. Sep 27, 2007 #3
    There is only one equation of motion: F=ma.

You need to work out what the forces are, and adopt a sensible coordinate system so that you can talk about acceleration, velocity and displacement in a reasonable way. So in this case, choose something with one of the axes going along the direction of the electric field, and one along the initial direction of the electron. Then you can work out what the force on the electron is, and solve the resulting (differential) equation.
  5. Sep 27, 2007 #4
    What do you know about the electric field between two parallel charged plates?

Can you calculate the force that the electron experiences?

However, at this point, I now have the same question as JoAuSc: How far apart are the plates? (And, I'll assume the electron is shot in the center between the plates.)
  6. Sep 28, 2007 #5
    aparently you don't need to know the distance apart and (e) is an electron which is 6.11 x 10e-16 or something.

There are other motion equations such as a=v-u/t etc

i,ve drawn it out but still doesnt make sense to me like its lacking detail but i havent got anything missing
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?