Which Motion Equation Determines Where an Electron Hits a Charged Plate?

In summary, the person is seeking help on a physics question involving an electron being shot between two parallel charged plates with a given velocity and electric field. They are unsure of which motion equation to use and ask about the distance between the plates. Another person mentions using F=ma and working out the forces and solving a differential equation. However, the original person is still confused and mentions drawing it out but still feeling like they are missing details.
SMUDGY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need help on this physics question:

An electron is shot at 10^6 ms-1 between two parallel charged plates. if (e) = 1 KN/C where will the electron strike the upper plate? Assume vacuum conditions.

I think i need to use a motion eqauation but which one.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "(e)" refer to? Do we know how wide apart the plates are?

There is only one equation of motion: F=ma.

You need to work out what the forces are, and adopt a sensible coordinate system so that you can talk about acceleration, velocity and displacement in a reasonable way. So in this case, choose something with one of the axes going along the direction of the electric field, and one along the initial direction of the electron. Then you can work out what the force on the electron is, and solve the resulting (differential) equation.

What do you know about the electric field between two parallel charged plates?

Can you calculate the force that the electron experiences?

However, at this point, I now have the same question as JoAuSc: How far apart are the plates? (And, I'll assume the electron is shot in the center between the plates.)

aparently you don't need to know the distance apart and (e) is an electron which is 6.11 x 10e-16 or something.

There are other motion equations such as a=v-u/t etc

i,ve drawn it out but still doesn't make sense to me like its lacking detail but i haven't got anything missing

FAQ: Which Motion Equation Determines Where an Electron Hits a Charged Plate?

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge and is one of the fundamental building blocks of matter. It is a key component of atoms, along with protons and neutrons, and is responsible for the chemical and electrical properties of matter.

2. What is the mass of an electron?

The mass of an electron is approximately 9.11 x 10^-31 kilograms, making it one of the lightest known particles. It is about 1/1836th the mass of a proton.

3. How does an electron move?

Electrons move in a variety of ways, depending on the context. In an atom, electrons move in discrete energy levels or orbitals around the nucleus. In a conductive material, they move freely through a lattice of atoms. In a vacuum, they can be accelerated by an electric field.

4. What is the charge of an electron?

An electron carries a negative charge of -1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs. This charge is equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to the positive charge of a proton, making atoms electrically neutral.

5. Can an electron be destroyed?

According to the laws of physics, energy and matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. Therefore, an electron cannot be destroyed, but it can be converted into other forms of energy or matter through various processes such as annihilation or pair production.

Back