Solving for an Unknown Mass Using Hooke's Law and Simple Materials

• Thread starter daodude1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses how to use Hooke's Law to find the unknown mass using a spring, ruler, and known masses. It also mentions the importance of accuracy and provides instructions on how to derive equations from a graph. The conversation concludes with appreciation for the helpful responses.
daodude1987
Hey guys, I'm a beginner physics student and I don't really know how to answer this question:

I have a spring, ruler,3 known masses, and 1 unknown mass.How would I find the unknown mass using these materials? Is it possible to solve using Hooke's Law? It would be very helpful if you guys can provide some equations or include any diagrams. Also how would I derive the needed equations from a graph? Thanks Alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
... and, pencils down.

well, let's see what we can do here.
first of all, remember hooke's law for a vertical opposition system (a spring with a mass hanging from it):
F=mg=-ky
so, from this we know that the spring has a linear stretching dependent upon the mass placed on it. hang the spring from a hook, and then put the ruler next to it. now, put the first known mass on it. measure the displacement now (y).from this, you have one value of k, by doing -mg/y=k. (g=9.81m/sec^2, and the - denotes the downwards direction.) now, do the other two masses the same way, and average the three values. k=(k1+k2+k3)/3=((m1g/y1)+(m2g/y2)+(m3g/y3))/3
where k is the average k.
now we get to the unknown mass.
measure the mass by putting it on the spring the same way as the first three. now measure its displacement (y), then you get (ky)/g=m.
voila! you have the mass!

remember: masses are in kilograms (kg), forces in Newtons (N), and displacements in meters (m). hope this helps!

"I have a spring, ruler,3 known masses, and 1 unknown mass.How would I find the unknown mass using these materials? Is it possible to solve using Hooke's Law? It would be very helpful if you guys can provide some equations or include any diagrams. Also how would I derive the needed equations from a graph?"

Hooke's law should work nicely. Hooke's law says that (for small extensions or compressions) the force required to stretch (or compress) a spring is proportional to the amount of stretch (or compression): F= -kx. If you attach one of the masses to the spring and hold it up so the mass is hanging down, the force is the gravitational force on the object (its weight), -Mg so that -Mg= -kX.
Using the known masses you can solve for k: k= Mg/X (X, is the stretch caused by known mass M).

Once you know k, hook on the unknown mass, m, and use mg= kx=
(Mg/X)x so m= M(x/X).

Strictly speaking you should only need one "known mass" to do that. Since F= -kx, the graph should be a straight line passing through (0,0). It takes two points to determine a straight line so (theoretically) only one mass should be needed. In actual practice, because of "experimental" error (and the fact that Hooke's law is only approximate) the three masses will give three slightly different answers.

What you can do is this: Set up a coordinate system with "mass" on the x-axis and "amount of stretch" on the y axis. Mark the points for the three known masses and the corresponding stretch of the spring. Those three should lie approximately on a straight line- and (0,0) should also be on that line.

Put your unknown mass on the spring and measure the stretch. Now you don't need to worry about getting a "formula" or "equation" from the graph. Mark the measured stretch on the y-axis of your graph, go over horizontally to the graph and then down to the x-axis to read off the mass.

Thanks a lot you guys! Everything is much clearer!

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a physical law that states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount it is stretched or compressed, as long as the elastic limit is not exceeded.

2. How do you use Hooke's Law to solve for an unknown mass?

To solve for an unknown mass using Hooke's Law, you need to measure the displacement of the spring when the mass is added and calculate the corresponding force using the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. Once you have the force, you can use the equation F = mg to solve for the unknown mass.

3. What materials are needed to perform this experiment?

This experiment can be performed using simple materials such as a spring, a ruler, a weight hanger, and various masses. A force sensor or a spring balance can also be used to measure the force exerted by the spring.

4. What are the limitations of using Hooke's Law to solve for an unknown mass?

Hooke's Law assumes that the spring is perfectly elastic and obeys the law at all levels of displacement. However, in reality, springs have a limit to their elasticity and may not follow the law at high levels of displacement. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements can also affect the accuracy of the calculated mass.

5. How can this experiment be useful in real-world applications?

The use of Hooke's Law to solve for an unknown mass can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It can be used to determine the weight of an object or to measure the stiffness of a material. In industries, it can also be used to calibrate weighing scales and to test the quality of springs used in different products.