Review Materials for Upper Level Physics Courses

Additionally, websites such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare offer free online resources for both quantum mechanics and solid state physics. In summary, for someone looking to brush up on their physics knowledge before applying for a Masters in Physics or taking the GED, I recommend reviewing old textbooks and resources such as Feynman's Lectures, as well as checking out recommended texts like Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics and Kittel Introduction to Solid State Physics. Online resources like Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare can also be helpful in refreshing one's understanding of these subjects.
Birkeland
I'm looking for any recomendations for review materials for upper level courses, particularly QM and solid state. I graduated in 2008 will a degree in Physics education, and as a result have a decently strong theoritcal background, however as you might imagine some of the education classes did preclude some of the physics. Given that there are very few Masters of science education programs I convinced my school to pay for a Masters in Physics, however I am looking to brush up before I apply or take the GED.

I am currently reading through my old physics textbooks and reviewing calculus, diff eq, and linear. I am also going through my copies of Feynman's Lectures as a broad view review. Does anyone have any recomendations on other texts or resources that I could use?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance for any suggestions.For quantum mechanics, I suggest looking into Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, Liboff Introductory Quantum Mechanics and Shankar Principles of Quantum Mechanics. All of these books are great resources to learn the fundamentals of quantum mechanics. For solid state, check out Kittel Introduction to Solid State Physics, Ashcroft and Mermin Solid State Physics and Charles Kittel's Solid State Physics. These books cover the basic principles of solid state physics and provide a good foundation for further learning.

What are the most important topics covered in upper level physics courses?

The most important topics covered in upper level physics courses include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. These topics build upon the fundamental principles learned in introductory physics courses and provide a deeper understanding of the physical world.

What resources are available for reviewing materials for upper level physics courses?

There are several resources available for reviewing materials for upper level physics courses, including textbooks, lecture notes, online videos, practice problems, and study groups. It is important to find a resource that best suits your learning style and to use a combination of resources for a comprehensive review.

How can I best prepare for exams in upper level physics courses?

The best way to prepare for exams in upper level physics courses is to review class notes, practice problems, and past exams. It is also helpful to attend review sessions or seek help from a tutor or professor if you are struggling with certain concepts. Additionally, staying organized and starting the review process early can help alleviate stress and improve understanding.

What are some common challenges students face when studying for upper level physics courses?

Some common challenges students face when studying for upper level physics courses include understanding complex mathematical concepts, managing time effectively, and connecting the abstract theories to real-world applications. It is important to seek help and practice regularly to overcome these challenges.

How can I use review materials to improve my understanding and performance in upper level physics courses?

Review materials can be used to improve understanding and performance in upper level physics courses by providing additional practice and resources for difficult concepts. It is important to actively engage with the materials and identify any areas of weakness to target for improvement. Reviewing regularly and seeking help when needed can also lead to better understanding and performance.