Physics rock off a cliff question

In summary, the problem involves a soccer player kicking a rock horizontally off a 40m high cliff into a pool of water. The player hears the sound of the splash 3.08 seconds later and we need to find the initial speed given to the rock. The speed of sound in air (343 m/s) does not play a role in this problem. We can solve for the initial velocity by using the equation Vi = 40/3.08 + 1/2(-9.8)(3.08)^2, assuming air resistance is negligible. The horizontal distance traveled by the rock can be found using the equation x = xo + vx*t and then solving for vx. Make sure to consider the two separate parts of time
itzela
Here's the problem:

A soccer player kicks a rock horizontally of a 40m high cliff into a pool of water. If the player hears the sound of the splash 3.08 s later, what was the initial speed given to the rock? Assume the speed of sound in air to be 343 m/s.

** my question is, what role does the speed of sound play in this problem?!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll take a stab at this:

Assuming air resistance is neglected or neglectable (I assume this is true unless there's something more we need to know), the time until the rock hits the water is based on the height and the acceleration due to gravity.
[tex]\frac{1}{2}gt^2 = 40[/tex] should give you the time until the rock hits.

The remainder of the time is spent with the sound waves traveling back to the listener, who is [tex]\sqrt{40^2 + x^2}[/tex] meters away, with x being the horizontal distance the rock traveled. So the distance the sound traveled is the time the sound wave traveled times the speed of sound. This gives you the horizontal distance traveled, which then gives you the initial velocity, once again assuming we can neglect the effects of air resistance on the rock.

itzela said:
Here's the problem:

A soccer player kicks a rock horizontally of a 40m high cliff into a pool of water. If the player hears the sound of the splash 3.08 s later, what was the initial speed given to the rock? Assume the speed of sound in air to be 343 m/s.

** my question is, what role does the speed of sound play in this problem?!

there is no connection between the speed of sound in air with the question whatsoever. to solve this, u simply do.. 40=Vi(3.08s)+1/2(-9.8m/s^2)(3.08s)^2 and solve for Vi.

r3dxP:
i tried doing what you did before, i got 28.07m/s, but it wasn't the right answer.

StNowhere:
using your method, i got that the horizontal distance traveled (x) = 86.316, and from there i plugged into the equation:
X = Xo + Vx*t and got Vx = 86.216/3.08 = 24.834

... is this correct? thanks a bunch!

itzela said:
r3dxP:
i tried doing what you did before, i got 28.07m/s, but it wasn't the right answer.

StNowhere:
using your method, i got that the horizontal distance traveled (x) = 86.316, and from there i plugged into the equation:
X = Xo + Vx*t and got Vx = 86.216/3.08 = 24.834

... is this correct? thanks a bunch!

I don't think we came up with the same horizontal distance. Make sure you know that there are two separate parts to the time, the time it takes for the rock to impact, and the time it takes for the sound waves of the impact to reach the kicker.

Last edited:
To see how this is going, how much time did you get for the rock in the air? That should speak volumes.

Related to Physics rock off a cliff question

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an object rolling off a cliff?

The formula for calculating the velocity of an object rolling off a cliff is V = √(2gh), where V is velocity, g is the gravitational acceleration (usually 9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the cliff.

2. How does the mass of the object affect its velocity when rolling off a cliff?

The mass of the object does not affect its velocity when rolling off a cliff. According to the formula V = √(2gh), the mass of the object does not appear in the equation. This means that the velocity of an object rolling off a cliff is only dependent on the height of the cliff and the gravitational acceleration.

3. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition, while kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. In the context of an object rolling off a cliff, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the object falls.

4. How does air resistance affect the velocity of an object rolling off a cliff?

Air resistance can slow down the velocity of an object rolling off a cliff. As the object falls, it will experience air resistance, which is a force that acts in the opposite direction of its motion. This force will cause the object to slow down and reach a terminal velocity, where the air resistance force equals the gravitational force pulling the object down.

5. Is it possible for an object to reach a velocity of zero when rolling off a cliff?

No, it is not possible for an object to reach a velocity of zero when rolling off a cliff, assuming that the cliff is a straight drop. This is because of the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. As the object falls, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and the object will continue to move until it reaches the ground.