How Do You Calculate the Tension in a Cable Supporting a Boom at an Angle?

In summary, a 169 kg mass is suspended from a 90 kg, 3.60 m long boom at an angle of 68.0 degrees from the vertical. The boom is supported by a horizontal cable and a pivot at its base. The task is to calculate the tension in the horizontal cable using the equations T=mg and T=ma. However, the person is unsure of how to incorporate the angle into the problem and may need a review on resolving forces and writing equilibrium equations.
katiegerster

Homework Statement

2. A mass M=169 kg is suspended from the end of a uniform boom.The boom (mass=90.0 kg, length=3.60 m) is at an angle θ=68.0 deg from the vertical, and is supported at its mid-point by a horizontal cable and by a pivot at its base. Calculate the tension in the horizontal cable.

Homework Equations

T=mg
T=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not sure how to solve for tension when given an angle. i know i need to use sin(68) somewhere in the problem i am just confused as to where

Physics news on Phys.org
This is again a static equilibrium problem. You need a review, I am afraid.

Can you draw the diagram confidently, showing all the forces? What are all the forces (magnitude, direction, line of action - use symbols for unknowns as necessary)? Do you know how to resolve a force at an angle into X and Y components? Can you then write the various force and torque equilibrium equations?

1. What is tension in physics?

Tension in physics refers to the force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a rope or cable, when it is pulled at both ends. It is a pulling force that acts in opposite directions along the length of the medium.

2. How is tension calculated?

Tension is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This gives the weight of the object. Tension can also be calculated by using the formula T = F * l, where T is tension, F is force, and l is the length of the medium.

3. What factors affect tension?

The factors that affect tension include the mass of the object, the angle at which the force is applied, and the characteristics of the medium, such as its elasticity and length. Additionally, any external forces acting on the object can also affect the tension.

4. How is tension used in physics?

Tension is used in physics to describe and analyze the forces acting on objects. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of structures and objects under stress, such as bridges, cables, and pulleys. Tension is also used in equations to calculate the motion of objects, such as in Newton's laws of motion.

5. How can I solve tension problems in physics?

To solve tension problems in physics, you will need to use the appropriate equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion, to analyze the forces acting on an object. It is important to carefully identify all the forces involved and their directions, and to use the correct formula to calculate tension. Practice and understanding of the concepts are key to successfully solving tension problems in physics.