1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics tension help

1. Jun 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. A mass M=169 kg is suspended from the end of a uniform boom.The boom (mass=90.0 kg, length=3.60 m) is at an angle θ=68.0 deg from the vertical, and is supported at its mid-point by a horizontal cable and by a pivot at its base. Calculate the tension in the horizontal cable.

2. Relevant equations

T=mg
    T=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

i am not sure how to solve for tension when given an angle. i know i need to use sin(68) somewhere in the problem i am just confused as to where

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2013 #2
    This is again a static equilibrium problem. You need a review, I am afraid.

4. Jun 8, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you draw the diagram confidently, showing all the forces? What are all the forces (magnitude, direction, line of action - use symbols for unknowns as necessary)? Do you know how to resolve a force at an angle into X and Y components? Can you then write the various force and torque equilibrium equations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted